Jun 1, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t met in the playoffs in about 20 years, but the hate’s revving up as if Ulf Samuelsson was on the ice.
A physical first period gave way to a controversy-soaked middle frame as Matt Cooke was ejected for hitting Adam McQuaid from behind, but that was just part of the zaniness. The bitterness really boiled over when Brad Marchand received a two-minute minor penalty for boarding James Neal with about 30 seconds left in the second:
It all opens the door for what could be a wild finish.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5