Jun 1, 2013, 12:51 AM EDT
Torey Krug has suddenly become a focal point of these playoffs.
The Boston Bruins defenseman, who stands all of 5’9″ and 180 pounds, had all of three NHL regular season games to his name until these playoffs and suddenly he’s become a very productive player on a team that is challenging for a spot in the Stanley Cup Final.
‘Krug-mania’ has taken over, even if he wasn’t a big-name player at the start of the spring.
He is now. That’s what happens when you’re a supposedly under-sized blue liner, with limited NHL experience, and you suddenly score four goals in five playoff games.
“I don’t know, he’s got the hot stick right now. He’s playing strong. He’s playing hard. You know, a lot of people didn’t expect that he would be as solid as he is,” Bruins defenseman Matt Bartkowski told reporters.
“I knew he would be. He’s that type of player. He’s pretty hard-nosed, especially for a small guy, he’s really solid.”
Krug is a story of someone who wasn’t a star player but who is now in the spotlight. He made history in the second round against the New York Rangers, becoming first defenseman to score four goals in his first five playoff games.
“This is an unbelievable story,” former NHL goalie Kevin Weekes told 98.5 The Sports Hub, as per CBS Boston.
“You want to talk about cojones, this guy is not afraid to jump up in the play. He wants the puck on the stick and oh by the way it’s the playoffs and he’s not fazed. I think he’s really jump-started the Bruins with his ability to skate and pass the puck out of pressure, and still make plays in the offensive zone.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)