Jun 1, 2013, 12:51 AM EST
Torey Krug has suddenly become a focal point of these playoffs.
The Boston Bruins defenseman, who stands all of 5’9″ and 180 pounds, had all of three NHL regular season games to his name until these playoffs and suddenly he’s become a very productive player on a team that is challenging for a spot in the Stanley Cup Final.
‘Krug-mania’ has taken over, even if he wasn’t a big-name player at the start of the spring.
He is now. That’s what happens when you’re a supposedly under-sized blue liner, with limited NHL experience, and you suddenly score four goals in five playoff games.
“I don’t know, he’s got the hot stick right now. He’s playing strong. He’s playing hard. You know, a lot of people didn’t expect that he would be as solid as he is,” Bruins defenseman Matt Bartkowski told reporters.
“I knew he would be. He’s that type of player. He’s pretty hard-nosed, especially for a small guy, he’s really solid.”
Krug is a story of someone who wasn’t a star player but who is now in the spotlight. He made history in the second round against the New York Rangers, becoming first defenseman to score four goals in his first five playoff games.
“This is an unbelievable story,” former NHL goalie Kevin Weekes told 98.5 The Sports Hub, as per CBS Boston.
“You want to talk about cojones, this guy is not afraid to jump up in the play. He wants the puck on the stick and oh by the way it’s the playoffs and he’s not fazed. I think he’s really jump-started the Bruins with his ability to skate and pass the puck out of pressure, and still make plays in the offensive zone.”
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)