Jun 1, 2013, 12:51 AM EDT
Torey Krug has suddenly become a focal point of these playoffs.
The Boston Bruins defenseman, who stands all of 5’9″ and 180 pounds, had all of three NHL regular season games to his name until these playoffs and suddenly he’s become a very productive player on a team that is challenging for a spot in the Stanley Cup Final.
‘Krug-mania’ has taken over, even if he wasn’t a big-name player at the start of the spring.
He is now. That’s what happens when you’re a supposedly under-sized blue liner, with limited NHL experience, and you suddenly score four goals in five playoff games.
“I don’t know, he’s got the hot stick right now. He’s playing strong. He’s playing hard. You know, a lot of people didn’t expect that he would be as solid as he is,” Bruins defenseman Matt Bartkowski told reporters.
“I knew he would be. He’s that type of player. He’s pretty hard-nosed, especially for a small guy, he’s really solid.”
Krug is a story of someone who wasn’t a star player but who is now in the spotlight. He made history in the second round against the New York Rangers, becoming first defenseman to score four goals in his first five playoff games.
“This is an unbelievable story,” former NHL goalie Kevin Weekes told 98.5 The Sports Hub, as per CBS Boston.
“You want to talk about cojones, this guy is not afraid to jump up in the play. He wants the puck on the stick and oh by the way it’s the playoffs and he’s not fazed. I think he’s really jump-started the Bruins with his ability to skate and pass the puck out of pressure, and still make plays in the offensive zone.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 7
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)