Jun 1, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT
The first period was all Chicago, but the Los Angeles Kings still took a 1-0 lead on the road when goaltender Corey Crawford mishandled the puck. The Blackhawks and Crawford deserve a lot of credit for staying focused despite that.
They stayed strong and managed to beat Jonathan Quick twice despite what was an impressive outing by the Kings’ netminder. Consequently, Chicago has taken Game 1 on the strength of a 2-1 victory.
Here are the game notes:
- Chicago outshot the Kings 9-0, 13-1, and 17-2 in the first period, but as mentioned above, Los Angeles still took an early lead.
- Speaking of which, this was just the fourth time in 13 postseason contests that Chicago fell behind 1-0. Saturday’s contest was also the second time in the 2013 playoffs that the Kings were defeated after netting the first goal.
- Kings forward Mike Richards was minus-seven in three contests against Chicago during the regular season and minus-one against Chicago in Game 1.
- These two teams were 13th and 14th in the first two rounds of the playoffs when it came to winning faceoffs. The Kings had a slight edge in Game 1 by winning 33 of 64 faceoffs.
- 12 of the Los Angeles Kings’ first 14 playoff contests have been decided by just one goal.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)