Jun 1, 2013, 7:49 PM EST
The first period was all Chicago, but the Los Angeles Kings still took a 1-0 lead on the road when goaltender Corey Crawford mishandled the puck. The Blackhawks and Crawford deserve a lot of credit for staying focused despite that.
They stayed strong and managed to beat Jonathan Quick twice despite what was an impressive outing by the Kings’ netminder. Consequently, Chicago has taken Game 1 on the strength of a 2-1 victory.
Here are the game notes:
- Chicago outshot the Kings 9-0, 13-1, and 17-2 in the first period, but as mentioned above, Los Angeles still took an early lead.
- Speaking of which, this was just the fourth time in 13 postseason contests that Chicago fell behind 1-0. Saturday’s contest was also the second time in the 2013 playoffs that the Kings were defeated after netting the first goal.
- Kings forward Mike Richards was minus-seven in three contests against Chicago during the regular season and minus-one against Chicago in Game 1.
- These two teams were 13th and 14th in the first two rounds of the playoffs when it came to winning faceoffs. The Kings had a slight edge in Game 1 by winning 33 of 64 faceoffs.
- 12 of the Los Angeles Kings’ first 14 playoff contests have been decided by just one goal.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)