Jun 1, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
After avoiding questions about controversial hits, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien gave the talk about all the rough stuff in Game 1 a big whatever, pointing to it merely being playoff hockey.* The pace of the play wasn’t to his liking, though.
While Boston survived runs of end-to-end hockey, Julien indicated that he wants his team to stick with its traditional, tighter defensive style.
“We got caught into a run-and-gun type of game. I think we all know we’re not a team that does well in those run-and-gun games,” Julien said. ” … Luckily, whatever little mistakes we made, Tukka was up to the task.”
There’s no doubt that the Bruins coach would prefer to take it slow, but Boston has shown an ability to light up the scoreboard on occasion. They scored a respectable 131 goals this season, memorably scored 20 goals in four games against the Philadelphia Flyers in a pretty wide-open 2011 playoff series and possess this postseason’s leading scorer in David Krejci.
Still, Julien would prefer this series to be a grinding, defensive struggle. Looking at the talent at the other end, it’s easy to see why.
* – Go ahead, imagine Julien doing the hand signal. It’s a fun mental image.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 48
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (140)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)