Jun 1, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
After avoiding questions about controversial hits, Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien gave the talk about all the rough stuff in Game 1 a big whatever, pointing to it merely being playoff hockey.* The pace of the play wasn’t to his liking, though.
While Boston survived runs of end-to-end hockey, Julien indicated that he wants his team to stick with its traditional, tighter defensive style.
“We got caught into a run-and-gun type of game. I think we all know we’re not a team that does well in those run-and-gun games,” Julien said. ” … Luckily, whatever little mistakes we made, Tukka was up to the task.”
There’s no doubt that the Bruins coach would prefer to take it slow, but Boston has shown an ability to light up the scoreboard on occasion. They scored a respectable 131 goals this season, memorably scored 20 goals in four games against the Philadelphia Flyers in a pretty wide-open 2011 playoff series and possess this postseason’s leading scorer in David Krejci.
Still, Julien would prefer this series to be a grinding, defensive struggle. Looking at the talent at the other end, it’s easy to see why.
* – Go ahead, imagine Julien doing the hand signal. It’s a fun mental image.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)