May 31, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have agreed to terms with Tomas Hertl on a three-year, entry-level deal, according to the Mercury News’ David Pollak.
Hertl, 19, was San Jose’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. The Czech native has spent the last three seasons playing with Slavia Praha of the Czech Extraliga, emerging as a talented scoring despite being one of the youngest players in the league.
Last year, Hertl had 30 points in 43 games, an impressive feat given the number of NHLers that played in the Extraliga during the lockout (Slavia Praha featured St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka and Calgary’s Roman Cervenka).
At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Hertl could have a shot at cracking the Sharks roster for 2013-14.
He’s spent the last two seasons playing professionally in one of the better domestic European leagues, and was the youngest player chosen to represent the Czech Republic at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, averaging over 12 minutes while appearing in all eight of the team’s games.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)