May 31, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have agreed to terms with Tomas Hertl on a three-year, entry-level deal, according to the Mercury News’ David Pollak.
Hertl, 19, was San Jose’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. The Czech native has spent the last three seasons playing with Slavia Praha of the Czech Extraliga, emerging as a talented scoring despite being one of the youngest players in the league.
Last year, Hertl had 30 points in 43 games, an impressive feat given the number of NHLers that played in the Extraliga during the lockout (Slavia Praha featured St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka and Calgary’s Roman Cervenka).
At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Hertl could have a shot at cracking the Sharks roster for 2013-14.
He’s spent the last two seasons playing professionally in one of the better domestic European leagues, and was the youngest player chosen to represent the Czech Republic at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, averaging over 12 minutes while appearing in all eight of the team’s games.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)