May 31, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have agreed to terms with Tomas Hertl on a three-year, entry-level deal, according to the Mercury News’ David Pollak.
Hertl, 19, was San Jose’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. The Czech native has spent the last three seasons playing with Slavia Praha of the Czech Extraliga, emerging as a talented scoring despite being one of the youngest players in the league.
Last year, Hertl had 30 points in 43 games, an impressive feat given the number of NHLers that played in the Extraliga during the lockout (Slavia Praha featured St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka and Calgary’s Roman Cervenka).
At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Hertl could have a shot at cracking the Sharks roster for 2013-14.
He’s spent the last two seasons playing professionally in one of the better domestic European leagues, and was the youngest player chosen to represent the Czech Republic at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, averaging over 12 minutes while appearing in all eight of the team’s games.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 2
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 13
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)