May 31, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
If there was any doubt that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan would return for the 2013-14 campaign, Sharks GM Doug Wilson has put it to rest.
Wilson confirmed that McLellan, along with all the coaches that work under him, will be back next season, according to CSN Bay Area.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
The Sharks had a roller coaster year, but they did end the regular season on a high note to secure the sixth seed. San Jose then swept the Vancouver Canucks in the first round before coming up just shy against the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings.
On one hand, the Sharks have now made the playoffs for nine straight seasons — five under McLellan — without getting to the Stanley Cup finals. They’ve had teams that appeared to be capable of winning the Cup on paper, but the Sharks were unable to take that next step when Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were in their prime.
Now both players are entering their mid-30s, but younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski seem capable of facilitating a smooth changing of the guard in San Jose. Meanwhile, this coaching staff will continue to chase the Stanley Cup win that’s alluded San Jose since the franchise was founded.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)