May 31, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
If there was any doubt that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan would return for the 2013-14 campaign, Sharks GM Doug Wilson has put it to rest.
Wilson confirmed that McLellan, along with all the coaches that work under him, will be back next season, according to CSN Bay Area.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
The Sharks had a roller coaster year, but they did end the regular season on a high note to secure the sixth seed. San Jose then swept the Vancouver Canucks in the first round before coming up just shy against the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings.
On one hand, the Sharks have now made the playoffs for nine straight seasons — five under McLellan — without getting to the Stanley Cup finals. They’ve had teams that appeared to be capable of winning the Cup on paper, but the Sharks were unable to take that next step when Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were in their prime.
Now both players are entering their mid-30s, but younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski seem capable of facilitating a smooth changing of the guard in San Jose. Meanwhile, this coaching staff will continue to chase the Stanley Cup win that’s alluded San Jose since the franchise was founded.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)