May 31, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
If there was any doubt that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan would return for the 2013-14 campaign, Sharks GM Doug Wilson has put it to rest.
Wilson confirmed that McLellan, along with all the coaches that work under him, will be back next season, according to CSN Bay Area.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
The Sharks had a roller coaster year, but they did end the regular season on a high note to secure the sixth seed. San Jose then swept the Vancouver Canucks in the first round before coming up just shy against the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings.
On one hand, the Sharks have now made the playoffs for nine straight seasons — five under McLellan — without getting to the Stanley Cup finals. They’ve had teams that appeared to be capable of winning the Cup on paper, but the Sharks were unable to take that next step when Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were in their prime.
Now both players are entering their mid-30s, but younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski seem capable of facilitating a smooth changing of the guard in San Jose. Meanwhile, this coaching staff will continue to chase the Stanley Cup win that’s alluded San Jose since the franchise was founded.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)