May 31, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
If there was any doubt that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan would return for the 2013-14 campaign, Sharks GM Doug Wilson has put it to rest.
Wilson confirmed that McLellan, along with all the coaches that work under him, will be back next season, according to CSN Bay Area.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
The Sharks had a roller coaster year, but they did end the regular season on a high note to secure the sixth seed. San Jose then swept the Vancouver Canucks in the first round before coming up just shy against the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings.
On one hand, the Sharks have now made the playoffs for nine straight seasons — five under McLellan — without getting to the Stanley Cup finals. They’ve had teams that appeared to be capable of winning the Cup on paper, but the Sharks were unable to take that next step when Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were in their prime.
Now both players are entering their mid-30s, but younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski seem capable of facilitating a smooth changing of the guard in San Jose. Meanwhile, this coaching staff will continue to chase the Stanley Cup win that’s alluded San Jose since the franchise was founded.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)