May 31, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
If there was any doubt that Sharks head coach Todd McLellan would return for the 2013-14 campaign, Sharks GM Doug Wilson has put it to rest.
Wilson confirmed that McLellan, along with all the coaches that work under him, will be back next season, according to CSN Bay Area.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
The Sharks had a roller coaster year, but they did end the regular season on a high note to secure the sixth seed. San Jose then swept the Vancouver Canucks in the first round before coming up just shy against the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings.
On one hand, the Sharks have now made the playoffs for nine straight seasons — five under McLellan — without getting to the Stanley Cup finals. They’ve had teams that appeared to be capable of winning the Cup on paper, but the Sharks were unable to take that next step when Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau were in their prime.
Now both players are entering their mid-30s, but younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski seem capable of facilitating a smooth changing of the guard in San Jose. Meanwhile, this coaching staff will continue to chase the Stanley Cup win that’s alluded San Jose since the franchise was founded.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)