May 31, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
An American Hockey League playoff game between the Oklahoma City Barons and Grand Rapids Griffins has been postponed due to a tornado in the area.
The league released a statement Friday evening, stating the game was “postponed following dangerous weather conditions around the Cox Convention Center in downtown Oklahoma City.”
The arena in Oklahoma City has been evacuated, according to a series of tweets from Larry Figurski, a news-sports anchor and reporter for WOOD-TV 8 in Grand Rapids and a color analyst for the Griffins.
Players, coaches and fans have been evacuated to a parking garage, where they are being kept right now, according to tweets from players and media.
Evacuated from the game down into the parking garage. Both teams and fans all down here. Never had this experience in hockey.—
Travis Ewanyk (@T_Ewanyk) June 01, 2013
Still in the parkage garage. Storm still coming. Power went out briefly.—
Ryan Dittrick (@ryandittrick) June 01, 2013
Tonight marked Game 4 of that Western Conference final between the two teams. The Barons lead the series 2-1.
Game 4 of the series will now take place Saturday, said the league in a statement. Game 5 will go Sunday.
(Photo courtesy Larry Figurski)
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)