May 31, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
An American Hockey League playoff game between the Oklahoma City Barons and Grand Rapids Griffins has been postponed due to a tornado in the area.
The league released a statement Friday evening, stating the game was “postponed following dangerous weather conditions around the Cox Convention Center in downtown Oklahoma City.”
The arena in Oklahoma City has been evacuated, according to a series of tweets from Larry Figurski, a news-sports anchor and reporter for WOOD-TV 8 in Grand Rapids and a color analyst for the Griffins.
Players, coaches and fans have been evacuated to a parking garage, where they are being kept right now, according to tweets from players and media.
Evacuated from the game down into the parking garage. Both teams and fans all down here. Never had this experience in hockey.—
Travis Ewanyk (@T_Ewanyk) June 01, 2013
Still in the parkage garage. Storm still coming. Power went out briefly.—
Ryan Dittrick (@ryandittrick) June 01, 2013
Tonight marked Game 4 of that Western Conference final between the two teams. The Barons lead the series 2-1.
Game 4 of the series will now take place Saturday, said the league in a statement. Game 5 will go Sunday.
(Photo courtesy Larry Figurski)
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)