May 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
Yesterday, we wrote about Florida general manager Dale Tallon’s desire to use the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft to select a player that can step into the Panthers’ lineup right away.
However, that’s assuming he doesn’t trade the pick — which is also something he’s willing to consider.
“I’ve had a couple of mild conversations here and there this week, ‘Are you going to move the pick?’” said Tallon, per the Buffalo News.
“Make me an offer. That’s the way it goes. You start the process early, and you work it all the way through till the five minutes before you make the pick, maybe a minute before the pick.”
The trading of top picks is always discussed leading up to the draft, and this year is no different.
Patrick Roy kicked off all sorts of speculation when he suggested the Avalanche may deal the first overall pick.
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are “very amenable” to trading the seventh overall pick.
“Colorado’s in the driver’s seat right there, and we know we’re going to get a hell of a player at two or three or four,” said Tallon.
Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin are the consensus top three prospects in this year’s draft, which will go June 30 in Newark.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)