May 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Yesterday, we wrote about Florida general manager Dale Tallon’s desire to use the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft to select a player that can step into the Panthers’ lineup right away.
However, that’s assuming he doesn’t trade the pick — which is also something he’s willing to consider.
“I’ve had a couple of mild conversations here and there this week, ‘Are you going to move the pick?’” said Tallon, per the Buffalo News.
“Make me an offer. That’s the way it goes. You start the process early, and you work it all the way through till the five minutes before you make the pick, maybe a minute before the pick.”
The trading of top picks is always discussed leading up to the draft, and this year is no different.
Patrick Roy kicked off all sorts of speculation when he suggested the Avalanche may deal the first overall pick.
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are “very amenable” to trading the seventh overall pick.
“Colorado’s in the driver’s seat right there, and we know we’re going to get a hell of a player at two or three or four,” said Tallon.
Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin are the consensus top three prospects in this year’s draft, which will go June 30 in Newark.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)