May 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Yesterday, we wrote about Florida general manager Dale Tallon’s desire to use the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft to select a player that can step into the Panthers’ lineup right away.
However, that’s assuming he doesn’t trade the pick — which is also something he’s willing to consider.
“I’ve had a couple of mild conversations here and there this week, ‘Are you going to move the pick?’” said Tallon, per the Buffalo News.
“Make me an offer. That’s the way it goes. You start the process early, and you work it all the way through till the five minutes before you make the pick, maybe a minute before the pick.”
The trading of top picks is always discussed leading up to the draft, and this year is no different.
Patrick Roy kicked off all sorts of speculation when he suggested the Avalanche may deal the first overall pick.
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are “very amenable” to trading the seventh overall pick.
“Colorado’s in the driver’s seat right there, and we know we’re going to get a hell of a player at two or three or four,” said Tallon.
Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin are the consensus top three prospects in this year’s draft, which will go June 30 in Newark.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (144)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)