May 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Yesterday, we wrote about Florida general manager Dale Tallon’s desire to use the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft to select a player that can step into the Panthers’ lineup right away.
However, that’s assuming he doesn’t trade the pick — which is also something he’s willing to consider.
“I’ve had a couple of mild conversations here and there this week, ‘Are you going to move the pick?’” said Tallon, per the Buffalo News.
“Make me an offer. That’s the way it goes. You start the process early, and you work it all the way through till the five minutes before you make the pick, maybe a minute before the pick.”
The trading of top picks is always discussed leading up to the draft, and this year is no different.
Patrick Roy kicked off all sorts of speculation when he suggested the Avalanche may deal the first overall pick.
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are “very amenable” to trading the seventh overall pick.
“Colorado’s in the driver’s seat right there, and we know we’re going to get a hell of a player at two or three or four,” said Tallon.
Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin are the consensus top three prospects in this year’s draft, which will go June 30 in Newark.
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 1
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 38
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)