May 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Yesterday, we wrote about Florida general manager Dale Tallon’s desire to use the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft to select a player that can step into the Panthers’ lineup right away.
However, that’s assuming he doesn’t trade the pick — which is also something he’s willing to consider.
“I’ve had a couple of mild conversations here and there this week, ‘Are you going to move the pick?’” said Tallon, per the Buffalo News.
“Make me an offer. That’s the way it goes. You start the process early, and you work it all the way through till the five minutes before you make the pick, maybe a minute before the pick.”
The trading of top picks is always discussed leading up to the draft, and this year is no different.
Patrick Roy kicked off all sorts of speculation when he suggested the Avalanche may deal the first overall pick.
The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, are “very amenable” to trading the seventh overall pick.
“Colorado’s in the driver’s seat right there, and we know we’re going to get a hell of a player at two or three or four,” said Tallon.
Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin are the consensus top three prospects in this year’s draft, which will go June 30 in Newark.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)