May 31, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
L.A. Kings head coach Darryl Sutter can sometimes be a man of few words.
But he offered compliments toward Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford on Friday, the day before the Blackhawks and Kings meet in Game 1 of the Western Conference final.
“We have to beat Corey Crawford to win a game. You can’t win 0-0. You can get 0-0 in the regular season, but you can’t get
wins in playoffs,” Sutter told reporters.
|He’s had a helluva year. Didn’t he win the Jennings? You better give Corey Crawford lots of credit.”
As a matter of fact, he and back-up Ray Emery did win the Jennings Trophy, giving up the fewest goals against – a grand total of 102 – during the regular season.
Despite just beginning the third round, Crawford is already gaining recognition as a potential candidate for the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of these playoffs.
The goalie he’ll be facing in this series, Jonathan Quick, is among the frontrunners for the Conn Smythe.
Quick leads all NHL goalies during this post-season in three of four major categories, and is tied with Crawford and Boston Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask for the most wins, with eight.
While Quick has been excellent, so, too has Crawford.
“He takes up a lot of space, a lot of room. It’sto see him do well because he works hard. It’s good to see that work paying off.”
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 1
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 45
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)