May 31, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
L.A. Kings head coach Darryl Sutter can sometimes be a man of few words.
But he offered compliments toward Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford on Friday, the day before the Blackhawks and Kings meet in Game 1 of the Western Conference final.
“We have to beat Corey Crawford to win a game. You can’t win 0-0. You can get 0-0 in the regular season, but you can’t get
wins in playoffs,” Sutter told reporters.
|He’s had a helluva year. Didn’t he win the Jennings? You better give Corey Crawford lots of credit.”
As a matter of fact, he and back-up Ray Emery did win the Jennings Trophy, giving up the fewest goals against – a grand total of 102 – during the regular season.
Despite just beginning the third round, Crawford is already gaining recognition as a potential candidate for the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of these playoffs.
The goalie he’ll be facing in this series, Jonathan Quick, is among the frontrunners for the Conn Smythe.
Quick leads all NHL goalies during this post-season in three of four major categories, and is tied with Crawford and Boston Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask for the most wins, with eight.
While Quick has been excellent, so, too has Crawford.
“He takes up a lot of space, a lot of room. It’sto see him do well because he works hard. It’s good to see that work paying off.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)