Kings ‘could bore you all to death’ but they don’t care

May 31, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Los Angeles Kings Getty Images

The L.A. Kings don’t score much. But, they just keep on winning.

Of the four teams remaining in the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Kings have the lowest goals-for average, with just two goals-per-game.

The Pittsburgh Penguins lead all four remaining teams in average goals-for (4.27), followed by the Boston Bruins (3.17) and Chicago Blackhawks (2.75).

And yet, the Kings, who will face the Blackhawks in the Western Conference final, have won their last six playoff series dating back to last April against the Vancouver Canucks.

It may not always be flashy, it may not always be fun to watch. But the Kings don’t seem to care.

They have the 2012 Stanley Cup and are in a good position to go for a repeat. Style be darned when you get the results.

“We could bore you all to death. If we keep on winning, I could care less what people think of our game,” said Kings’ captain Dustin Brown told reporters.

“We found something that’s  successful for us as a group, and sometimes people don’t think it’s exciting. It depends on your opinion.”

1. FireBettman - May 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I dont know how their style can be boring. The low scoring games always keep me on the edge of my seat, its extremely fun when you’re a fan them. I suppose if you don’t care for either team then it might get a little boring, but hockey is hockey, just be happy something is on. And if you don’t want to watch, I think TBS still shows basketball games

2. leiterfelixleiter - May 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM

The Kings are a machine and no team can beat them. They will win this series in six games or less, every game will look the exact same and no game will have more than five goals scored, total. Jonathan Quick is the greatest postseason goalie of all-time and is about to win back-to-back Conn Smythe trophies. Book it.

• sheckyrimshot - May 31, 2013 at 11:26 PM

patrick roy can’t hear what you said

3. kingsforever - May 31, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Not boring at all, one game goals are too stressful if anything

• stachowiakjp - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I agree with you, Sir Kingsforever. Seriously you should change your name to Sir Kingsforever. It adds real royalty to it.

4. pennerismyhomeboy - May 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

The low scoring usually goes both ways in the Kings games. I don’t know if there’s a goaltender more fun to watch than Jonathan Quick. (ok, maybe Bobrovsky, but you get what I mean). Basically, not boring.

5. blomfeld - May 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM

ISN’T IT IRONIC ?

It’s funny how only three months here at PHT, I Blomfeld stood virtually ‘alone’ with my pronouncements that Jonathan Quick is the very ‘best’ of the best. In fact, even my fellow Kings fans were conveniently silent. Yet today you people can’t contain yourselves with your praises for the ‘greatness’ that is Jonathan Quick. There’s a word which describes you type of people, but out of respect to PHT I will defer from saying it. Nonetheless, I said it before (ie: albeit with humor) and I’ll say it again … Jonathan Quick is the ‘best’ goaltender in the business and he’s the heart of our ‘glorious’ and reigning Stanley Cup Champion LA Kings …

NHL’s Top goaltenders as per Bloomberg Sports:

1) Jonathan Quick
    2) Jonathan Bernier
    3) Cory Schneider
    4) Carey Price
    5) Ryan Millar

28) Marc-Andre Fluery
    29) Miika Kiprusoff
    30) Roberto Luongo

As for Captain Brown’s excellent comment that he “couldn’t care less what people think of our game” … well the same thing goes for me. I say ‘to heck’ with what people think about my musical offerings and such, as I will continue to support my beloved LA Kings come hell or high water … and I will do so with via means that I deem to be both ‘necessary’ and to ‘my pleasing’. Friends, our LA Kings’ enterprise is not one just being driven by skill, sacrifice and dedication, but rather more by providence. Today and tomorrow is ‘ours’ and anything or anyone standing in our way is going to be smashed by the ‘fist of truth’ … God willing !

GO KINGS GO !!!! …. TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** special video selection for all Blomfeld and LA Kings detractors ***

• esracerx46 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Well you’re a happy HOMER huh? Can I rub it in your face if the Kings lose and Quick gets smashed? That hole you live in, also known as your mother’s basement must get awful lonely when you’re wrong. Go ahead, enjoy the sun while you’re out. I bet you could use the vitamin D.

• nightfireop - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

oh well see…..weeee shall seeeee…

• dannymac17 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

at least try to be funny when you are being disrespectful.

• esracerx46 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Oh and as far as comparing your musical selections to Dustin Brown’s comments…. someone actually asked him for his comments. And, his comments are also relevant to the hockey genre. Your musical selections are unrealated to anything hockey, and do nothing to add anything to any statement you have provided. We all appreciate your generosity when you routinely give us our wtf moment of the day.

• alswingman - Jun 1, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Your nick should be Blomfeldisonthebandwagon or maybe blowhard. If you look at playoff hockey over the many years they have been been playing, lots of goaltenders get on a hot streak. There have been lots of great ones. You are clearly in your own world and that is very LA of you.

The fact that you can’t spell Miller means either you have a sub IQ or English is not your first language (in which case it is surprising you are rooting for an american goaltender in the most airheaded market there is). Ryan Miller, by the way, is one of the WORST playoff goaltenders ever. Can you spell C-H-O-K-E.

Didn’t Carey Price just get shelled by the Sens?

But… there is no doubt the gumby-like JonathanQuick can flop his sorry lametard body around and wear enough armor to block as many shots as possible. He is still an immature idiot and the Bhawks will ring him up for at least 3 per contest. Hawks in 4.

• esracerx46 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM

He’s already got 2 names that I know of. valoisjoeyBFELD69 and blomfeld. Come on dude really? Apparently my prior assesment of him living in his mothers basement was correct. Since your such a “diehard” Kings fan, I’m going to assume you live in California. In which case, get some sun! I hear its beautiful out there. on the other hand, he could very easily be a spineless idiot who jumps on the bandwagon of the previous cup winner trying to ride their coattails

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 1, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Ah! So sad that you’re all so tightly wound up. blomfeld clearly knows the game, and knows how to inject humor into his comments all the while providing some interesting observations. Q is the best at his position right now. He’s no doubt way ahead of Rask, Vokoun, and Crawford. Airheaded market my a$$. Who’s JonathanQuick? Can you share your IQ with us?

6. titansrbeast - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM

It’s more frustrating than it is boring (unless you’re a kings fan of course)…watching the Sharks try to score on Quick and thinking the puck was going to end up in the net soooo many times and then NOTHING….it’s not boring it makes you want to smash things. They perform well whether it be on the road or at home, even though their road record is not that great, which I find it funny that LA was a machine on the road last year and now it’s kind of reversed. Hawks/Kings should be great, obviously if LA can steal one in Chicago it’s their series to lose so let’s go HAWKS, don’t let em repeat! :P

7. pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM

LA vs Boston in the finals would be extremely boring to watch!

• pennerismyhomeboy - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM

More boring that Kings v Devils? I don’t think so haha

8. FireBettman - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

You didn’t stand alone, you just didn’t listen to anyone else unless they loudly proclaimed their loyalty to the kings. Just because you guessed about quick months ago doesn’t mean you gotta be a giant superfan douche. And your obsession with acting like Lou is the worst goalie in the league is fascinating. I do think that Quick is a way better goalie (and no i don’t feel as though i need to blurt it out to everyone on pht), but fact is statistically Bobby Lou had a better year statistically. Better SP and one more shutout. His GAA and SP would be way higher if it weren’t for that 8 goal game against Detroit, and the 7 goal one against Edmonton. You can’t even really fault him as his team often falls apart in front of him and usually he holds them in.
    Also, it seems as though your rankings for 2-5 are solely based off goalie potential ratings for NHL12. Throw out some things other than bad videos (thats right I said bad, you’re about 40 years behind there, also, no one comes to a hockey sight to see frickin Elvis) and horribly biased comments and people might actually take you seriously.

Also, since you seem to have no perception of hockey, I’ll give you a little lesson on goaltending

A TRUE goalies list (Based on last 3 years of play, doesn’t count postseason)

1. Lundvist. Can’t deny the king his throne. He’s been incredible in keeping his team in games and winning games despite an average at best offense.
    2. Rinne. Has been great for a while now, his bad year this season places him at second, but you cant blame him too much, have you seen his team lately?
    3. Howard. Most might disagree, but look at his stats over the last three years, you might be surprised.
    4. Quick. Below average season this year, 3 seasons ago he had a .918 SP. Very solid, but one incredible year doesn’t place him number one in the league.
    5. Neimi. Pretty tough one to decide here, Craig Anderson was very close, but despite his unorthodox style and his team not being super defensive like the others on this list, he has managed very good numbers.

Bottom 3 (Starters only. Last 3 years)
    28. Roloson. Great postseason with the lightning a few years back, hasn’t translated to much else.
    29. Varlamov. Can’t blame him too much as his team is terrible, but he definitely hasn’t lived up to his trade yet. And hasn’t been the gamechanger Colorado expected him too be.
    30. Pavelec. Subpar stats on a team that actually pretty decent, and can compete for a playoff spot. They will make it with an improved performance from him.

This list was compiled in about 10 minutes, with no bias, and it shows my knowledge of hockey.

Now, a complimentary video

One last thing.. FIRE BETTMAN!

• FireBettman - Jun 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM

@ Blomfeld

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

How many stanley cups have the top 5 goalies won?

• FireBettman - Jun 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I suppose you didn’t read that part i wrote down about it not counting postseason..

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Who cares about regular season stats when you can win a SC and in the process win the Smythe.

• kirkmcleansbaby - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Only Quick and Bernier have won Stanley Cups. Bernier also only won it as Quick’s back-up and didn’t play any games, so you can’t even say that he won it. So your stupid point is?!?!,

9. greatusername - Jun 1, 2013 at 4:47 AM

I’m more than certain this comment will gain some “thumbs down”, but I’d have to say that no matter how much I respect and appreciate the Kings, I don’t think that they could win the cup back to back if they face the Pens. As great as Quick is, the Pens offense is too good right now. They will frustrate him and then take advantage of that frustration. If the kings can’t score more goals against them, they have no chance. I know this is an uncertain situation with the next round about to begin and all, but I just think it’s worth noting because it has a chance at happening. Yep, that’s all. Feel free to thumbs down now.

10. surfoside4life - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

People say the spurs are boring as well. But they consistently win. Who cares how you play long as you get the job done

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive