May 31, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
Pending unrestricted free agent Valtteri Filppula has played his NHL career with only one team – the Detroit Red Wings – but that could change this summer.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million contract with the Red Wings.
“I don’t know, it’s too early to say right now,” Filppula told The Detroit News. “It’s been the only team I’ve played with. There’s nothing but positive things to say (about the organization), and it’s a great place to be.
“We’ll see what happens this summer. I haven’t thought too much about it. Possibly it (leaving the Red Wings) could happen. It would be tough.”
Originally from Vantaa, Finland, Filppula joined the Red Wings in the 2005-06 season.
He had a breakout campaign in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 23 goals and 66 points. But this season, coming out of the lockout, was a struggle in terms of overall offensive production.
He had nine goals and 17 points in 41 games played.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 65
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (71)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)