May 31, 2013, 11:23 PM EST
Pending unrestricted free agent Valtteri Filppula has played his NHL career with only one team – the Detroit Red Wings – but that could change this summer.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million contract with the Red Wings.
“I don’t know, it’s too early to say right now,” Filppula told The Detroit News. “It’s been the only team I’ve played with. There’s nothing but positive things to say (about the organization), and it’s a great place to be.
“We’ll see what happens this summer. I haven’t thought too much about it. Possibly it (leaving the Red Wings) could happen. It would be tough.”
Originally from Vantaa, Finland, Filppula joined the Red Wings in the 2005-06 season.
He had a breakout campaign in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 23 goals and 66 points. But this season, coming out of the lockout, was a struggle in terms of overall offensive production.
He had nine goals and 17 points in 41 games played.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)