May 31, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
Pending unrestricted free agent Valtteri Filppula has played his NHL career with only one team – the Detroit Red Wings – but that could change this summer.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million contract with the Red Wings.
“I don’t know, it’s too early to say right now,” Filppula told The Detroit News. “It’s been the only team I’ve played with. There’s nothing but positive things to say (about the organization), and it’s a great place to be.
“We’ll see what happens this summer. I haven’t thought too much about it. Possibly it (leaving the Red Wings) could happen. It would be tough.”
Originally from Vantaa, Finland, Filppula joined the Red Wings in the 2005-06 season.
He had a breakout campaign in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 23 goals and 66 points. But this season, coming out of the lockout, was a struggle in terms of overall offensive production.
He had nine goals and 17 points in 41 games played.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)