May 31, 2013, 11:23 PM EST
Pending unrestricted free agent Valtteri Filppula has played his NHL career with only one team – the Detroit Red Wings – but that could change this summer.
Filppula, 29, is in the final year of a five-year, $15 million contract with the Red Wings.
“I don’t know, it’s too early to say right now,” Filppula told The Detroit News. “It’s been the only team I’ve played with. There’s nothing but positive things to say (about the organization), and it’s a great place to be.
“We’ll see what happens this summer. I haven’t thought too much about it. Possibly it (leaving the Red Wings) could happen. It would be tough.”
Originally from Vantaa, Finland, Filppula joined the Red Wings in the 2005-06 season.
He had a breakout campaign in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 23 goals and 66 points. But this season, coming out of the lockout, was a struggle in terms of overall offensive production.
He had nine goals and 17 points in 41 games played.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)