May 31, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Now, after a year of playing under Cory Schneider, it sounds like the Canucks need to trade Luongo or he’ll attempt to force their hand.
“You can’t have Luongo and Schneider back together. I don’t think Roberto will report (to training camp). Honestly, I don’t,” TSN’s Darren Dreger said on TSN 1050. “I think he’s done in Vancouver and whatever situation is put in front of him, he’s going to accept.”
There’s no question Vancouver wants to trade him, but it’s far easier said than done. Luongo is 34 years old and comes with a cap hit of $5,333,333 annually through the 2021-22 campaign.
It’s the length of that deal that likely made suitors shy away from Vancouver’s asking price during the summer and 2013 trade deadline. It’s hard to imagine that teams will be more inclined to acquire him now that the salary cap is going down, he’s older, and a year removed from being a clear-cut starter.
That being said, the New York Islanders are reportedly interested in Luongo. They already have a goaltender under a bad contract in Rick DiPietro and any potential deal would theoretically involve the Canucks taking DiPietro and then spending one of their compliance buyouts on him.
Perhaps that will happen, but it sounds like one way or another, Luongo has played in his last game with the Vancouver Canucks.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)