May 31, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Now, after a year of playing under Cory Schneider, it sounds like the Canucks need to trade Luongo or he’ll attempt to force their hand.
“You can’t have Luongo and Schneider back together. I don’t think Roberto will report (to training camp). Honestly, I don’t,” TSN’s Darren Dreger said on TSN 1050. “I think he’s done in Vancouver and whatever situation is put in front of him, he’s going to accept.”
There’s no question Vancouver wants to trade him, but it’s far easier said than done. Luongo is 34 years old and comes with a cap hit of $5,333,333 annually through the 2021-22 campaign.
It’s the length of that deal that likely made suitors shy away from Vancouver’s asking price during the summer and 2013 trade deadline. It’s hard to imagine that teams will be more inclined to acquire him now that the salary cap is going down, he’s older, and a year removed from being a clear-cut starter.
That being said, the New York Islanders are reportedly interested in Luongo. They already have a goaltender under a bad contract in Rick DiPietro and any potential deal would theoretically involve the Canucks taking DiPietro and then spending one of their compliance buyouts on him.
Perhaps that will happen, but it sounds like one way or another, Luongo has played in his last game with the Vancouver Canucks.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)