May 31, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
Now, after a year of playing under Cory Schneider, it sounds like the Canucks need to trade Luongo or he’ll attempt to force their hand.
“You can’t have Luongo and Schneider back together. I don’t think Roberto will report (to training camp). Honestly, I don’t,” TSN’s Darren Dreger said on TSN 1050. “I think he’s done in Vancouver and whatever situation is put in front of him, he’s going to accept.”
There’s no question Vancouver wants to trade him, but it’s far easier said than done. Luongo is 34 years old and comes with a cap hit of $5,333,333 annually through the 2021-22 campaign.
It’s the length of that deal that likely made suitors shy away from Vancouver’s asking price during the summer and 2013 trade deadline. It’s hard to imagine that teams will be more inclined to acquire him now that the salary cap is going down, he’s older, and a year removed from being a clear-cut starter.
That being said, the New York Islanders are reportedly interested in Luongo. They already have a goaltender under a bad contract in Rick DiPietro and any potential deal would theoretically involve the Canucks taking DiPietro and then spending one of their compliance buyouts on him.
Perhaps that will happen, but it sounds like one way or another, Luongo has played in his last game with the Vancouver Canucks.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)