May 31, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Now, after a year of playing under Cory Schneider, it sounds like the Canucks need to trade Luongo or he’ll attempt to force their hand.
“You can’t have Luongo and Schneider back together. I don’t think Roberto will report (to training camp). Honestly, I don’t,” TSN’s Darren Dreger said on TSN 1050. “I think he’s done in Vancouver and whatever situation is put in front of him, he’s going to accept.”
There’s no question Vancouver wants to trade him, but it’s far easier said than done. Luongo is 34 years old and comes with a cap hit of $5,333,333 annually through the 2021-22 campaign.
It’s the length of that deal that likely made suitors shy away from Vancouver’s asking price during the summer and 2013 trade deadline. It’s hard to imagine that teams will be more inclined to acquire him now that the salary cap is going down, he’s older, and a year removed from being a clear-cut starter.
That being said, the New York Islanders are reportedly interested in Luongo. They already have a goaltender under a bad contract in Rick DiPietro and any potential deal would theoretically involve the Canucks taking DiPietro and then spending one of their compliance buyouts on him.
Perhaps that will happen, but it sounds like one way or another, Luongo has played in his last game with the Vancouver Canucks.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)