May 31, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Jim Nill continues to make changes in Dallas.
On Friday, the new Stars GM announced the club would be parting ways with longtime assistant GM Frank Provenzano, who’d been with the club for the last seven years.
In addition, Nill announced that Scott White — the GM of AHL Texas — would be serving as Dallas’ director of hockey operations (while retaining his AHL gig) and that assistant GM Les Jackson and director of hockey administration Mark Janko would remain in their roles.
So, just to recap all that’s gone on in Dallas over the last month:
— Joe Nieuwendyk was relieved of GM duties
— Nill was hired as new GM
— Nill fired head coach Glen Gulutzan and assistant Paul Jerrard
— Nill let Provenzano walk, promoted White
The latest move makes sense, as Dallas’ front office has been crowded over the last few seasons.
Nieuwendyk, Provenzano and Jackson were working as a three-man general managing unit, this after Jackson was replaced by Nieuwendyk in 2009 but retained by the organization.
As for Provenzano — he’s known as a “capologist,” a guy responsible for crunching numbers, specializing in salary cap management.
Here’s a profile from James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail:
Provenzano, who played university hockey at Queen’s and whose father was a Member of Parliament for Sault Ste. Marie, scored his first NHL job as he finished his MBA in Vancouver and cold-called the Canucks in the mid-1990s.
He moved to the Washington Capitals, and in 2006 caught on in Dallas. Like his friend [Canucks asst. GM Laurence] Gilman, Provenzano, 45, doesn’t care for the term capologist – “it sounds like a mushroom farmer,” he says – but the capologists are a bit nerdy.
The two were among the few NHL executives at the recent MIT Sloan sport analytics conference, and both the Canucks and Stars use advanced stats to measure players.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)