May 31, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Jim Nill continues to make changes in Dallas.
On Friday, the new Stars GM announced the club would be parting ways with longtime assistant GM Frank Provenzano, who’d been with the club for the last seven years.
In addition, Nill announced that Scott White — the GM of AHL Texas — would be serving as Dallas’ director of hockey operations (while retaining his AHL gig) and that assistant GM Les Jackson and director of hockey administration Mark Janko would remain in their roles.
So, just to recap all that’s gone on in Dallas over the last month:
– Joe Nieuwendyk was relieved of GM duties
– Nill was hired as new GM
– Nill fired head coach Glen Gulutzan and assistant Paul Jerrard
– Nill let Provenzano walk, promoted White
The latest move makes sense, as Dallas’ front office has been crowded over the last few seasons.
Nieuwendyk, Provenzano and Jackson were working as a three-man general managing unit, this after Jackson was replaced by Nieuwendyk in 2009 but retained by the organization.
As for Provenzano — he’s known as a “capologist,” a guy responsible for crunching numbers, specializing in salary cap management.
Here’s a profile from James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail:
Provenzano, who played university hockey at Queen’s and whose father was a Member of Parliament for Sault Ste. Marie, scored his first NHL job as he finished his MBA in Vancouver and cold-called the Canucks in the mid-1990s.
He moved to the Washington Capitals, and in 2006 caught on in Dallas. Like his friend [Canucks asst. GM Laurence] Gilman, Provenzano, 45, doesn’t care for the term capologist – “it sounds like a mushroom farmer,” he says – but the capologists are a bit nerdy.
The two were among the few NHL executives at the recent MIT Sloan sport analytics conference, and both the Canucks and Stars use advanced stats to measure players.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 5
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55