May 31, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
It was the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners against a team with 22 consecutive playoff appearances.
And hockey fans across the U.S. took notice, as the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings did battle in Game 7 of their Western Conference semifinal series.
According to a release from The NBC Sports Group, Wednesday’s game between the Blackhawks and Red Wings “posted a 2.07 rating and averaged 3.354 million viewers, making it the highest-rated NHL game ever on NBC Sports Network, and the most-watched Semifinal game ever on cable.”
Data goes back to 1994.
“The game… is the highest-rated non-Stanley Cup Final game on cable since 2002.”
Naturally, the game did well in the two competing cities – Chicago and Detroit.
“In Chicago, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 17.21 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for an NHL game on NBC Sports Network,” it was said in the statement.
“In Detroit, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 14.96 HH rating.”
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54