May 31, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
It was the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners against a team with 22 consecutive playoff appearances.
And hockey fans across the U.S. took notice, as the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings did battle in Game 7 of their Western Conference semifinal series.
According to a release from The NBC Sports Group, Wednesday’s game between the Blackhawks and Red Wings “posted a 2.07 rating and averaged 3.354 million viewers, making it the highest-rated NHL game ever on NBC Sports Network, and the most-watched Semifinal game ever on cable.”
Data goes back to 1994.
“The game… is the highest-rated non-Stanley Cup Final game on cable since 2002.”
Naturally, the game did well in the two competing cities – Chicago and Detroit.
“In Chicago, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 17.21 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for an NHL game on NBC Sports Network,” it was said in the statement.
“In Detroit, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 14.96 HH rating.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 7
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)