May 31, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
It was the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners against a team with 22 consecutive playoff appearances.
And hockey fans across the U.S. took notice, as the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings did battle in Game 7 of their Western Conference semifinal series.
According to a release from The NBC Sports Group, Wednesday’s game between the Blackhawks and Red Wings “posted a 2.07 rating and averaged 3.354 million viewers, making it the highest-rated NHL game ever on NBC Sports Network, and the most-watched Semifinal game ever on cable.”
Data goes back to 1994.
“The game… is the highest-rated non-Stanley Cup Final game on cable since 2002.”
Naturally, the game did well in the two competing cities – Chicago and Detroit.
“In Chicago, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 17.21 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for an NHL game on NBC Sports Network,” it was said in the statement.
“In Detroit, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 14.96 HH rating.”
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 52
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5