May 31, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
It was the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners against a team with 22 consecutive playoff appearances.
And hockey fans across the U.S. took notice, as the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings did battle in Game 7 of their Western Conference semifinal series.
According to a release from The NBC Sports Group, Wednesday’s game between the Blackhawks and Red Wings “posted a 2.07 rating and averaged 3.354 million viewers, making it the highest-rated NHL game ever on NBC Sports Network, and the most-watched Semifinal game ever on cable.”
Data goes back to 1994.
“The game… is the highest-rated non-Stanley Cup Final game on cable since 2002.”
Naturally, the game did well in the two competing cities – Chicago and Detroit.
“In Chicago, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 17.21 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for an NHL game on NBC Sports Network,” it was said in the statement.
“In Detroit, the Blackhawks-Red Wings telecast received a 14.96 HH rating.”
- Video: Letang practices, says his goal is to return this season 4
- Who has the best and worst special teams in the NHL? 17
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 13
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 3
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 10
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 23
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 59
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series (60)