May 31, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Ex-Ranger Sean Avery was pleased to learn head coach John Tortorella was fired on Wedensday — but not for the reasons you might think.
“It’s not that I’m happy for myself. I’m happy for the Rangers and Ranger fans,” Avery told the New York Post. “When I was a Ranger, no one was happier to walk into the Garden every day than me.
“I loved the team. I still do. I want the atmosphere to be the best it can be for the players. I want everyone in New York to be proud of the team.”
Little was heard from Avery since retiring last year, until he popped up on Twitter to call Tortorella a “clown” in March, adding “his players hate him and won’t play for his BS.”
Then, in mid-May, he took a different approach, saying that playing under Tortorella was “one of the best things that ever happened to me.”
“Part of it was the relationship that I had with him as a coach,” he explained. “It definitely helped me make the transition and have a successful career.”
But Avery took a new turn — surprise surprise — after hearing Tororella was ousted this week, tweeting “Don’t ever doubt what I say,” before speaking with the Post’s Larry Brooks.
“Oh, I had a huge smile on my face,” Avery said about hearing the news. “No question about it.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)