May 31, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
Ex-Ranger Sean Avery was pleased to learn head coach John Tortorella was fired on Wedensday — but not for the reasons you might think.
“It’s not that I’m happy for myself. I’m happy for the Rangers and Ranger fans,” Avery told the New York Post. “When I was a Ranger, no one was happier to walk into the Garden every day than me.
“I loved the team. I still do. I want the atmosphere to be the best it can be for the players. I want everyone in New York to be proud of the team.”
Little was heard from Avery since retiring last year, until he popped up on Twitter to call Tortorella a “clown” in March, adding “his players hate him and won’t play for his BS.”
Then, in mid-May, he took a different approach, saying that playing under Tortorella was “one of the best things that ever happened to me.”
“Part of it was the relationship that I had with him as a coach,” he explained. “It definitely helped me make the transition and have a successful career.”
But Avery took a new turn — surprise surprise — after hearing Tororella was ousted this week, tweeting “Don’t ever doubt what I say,” before speaking with the Post’s Larry Brooks.
“Oh, I had a huge smile on my face,” Avery said about hearing the news. “No question about it.”
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)