May 31, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Ex-Ranger Sean Avery was pleased to learn head coach John Tortorella was fired on Wedensday — but not for the reasons you might think.
“It’s not that I’m happy for myself. I’m happy for the Rangers and Ranger fans,” Avery told the New York Post. “When I was a Ranger, no one was happier to walk into the Garden every day than me.
“I loved the team. I still do. I want the atmosphere to be the best it can be for the players. I want everyone in New York to be proud of the team.”
Little was heard from Avery since retiring last year, until he popped up on Twitter to call Tortorella a “clown” in March, adding “his players hate him and won’t play for his BS.”
Then, in mid-May, he took a different approach, saying that playing under Tortorella was “one of the best things that ever happened to me.”
“Part of it was the relationship that I had with him as a coach,” he explained. “It definitely helped me make the transition and have a successful career.”
But Avery took a new turn — surprise surprise — after hearing Tororella was ousted this week, tweeting “Don’t ever doubt what I say,” before speaking with the Post’s Larry Brooks.
“Oh, I had a huge smile on my face,” Avery said about hearing the news. “No question about it.”
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)