May 31, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Ex-Ranger Sean Avery was pleased to learn head coach John Tortorella was fired on Wedensday — but not for the reasons you might think.
“It’s not that I’m happy for myself. I’m happy for the Rangers and Ranger fans,” Avery told the New York Post. “When I was a Ranger, no one was happier to walk into the Garden every day than me.
“I loved the team. I still do. I want the atmosphere to be the best it can be for the players. I want everyone in New York to be proud of the team.”
Little was heard from Avery since retiring last year, until he popped up on Twitter to call Tortorella a “clown” in March, adding “his players hate him and won’t play for his BS.”
Then, in mid-May, he took a different approach, saying that playing under Tortorella was “one of the best things that ever happened to me.”
“Part of it was the relationship that I had with him as a coach,” he explained. “It definitely helped me make the transition and have a successful career.”
But Avery took a new turn — surprise surprise — after hearing Tororella was ousted this week, tweeting “Don’t ever doubt what I say,” before speaking with the Post’s Larry Brooks.
“Oh, I had a huge smile on my face,” Avery said about hearing the news. “No question about it.”
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)