May 30, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
If Wednesday was the last time forward Valtteri Filppula ever plays for the Detroit Red Wings, his tenure ended in one of the worst ways possible.
Not only did his team get eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7, but he left early in the contest after Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw appeared to slew foot him.
When asked if Shaw did slew foot Filppula, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock declined to answer the question directly.
“You guys watched the video, you decide,” Babcock said. “He’s hurt.”
If you haven’t watched the video, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Babcock added that Filppula will be ready for training camp, but whose training camp? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking $5 million annually.
That’s a big raise over his expiring five-year, $15,000,000 contract and one he might not get after struggling in the regular season with nine goals and 17 points in 41 games.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)