May 30, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
If Wednesday was the last time forward Valtteri Filppula ever plays for the Detroit Red Wings, his tenure ended in one of the worst ways possible.
Not only did his team get eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7, but he left early in the contest after Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw appeared to slew foot him.
When asked if Shaw did slew foot Filppula, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock declined to answer the question directly.
“You guys watched the video, you decide,” Babcock said. “He’s hurt.”
If you haven’t watched the video, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Babcock added that Filppula will be ready for training camp, but whose training camp? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking $5 million annually.
That’s a big raise over his expiring five-year, $15,000,000 contract and one he might not get after struggling in the regular season with nine goals and 17 points in 41 games.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)