May 30, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
If Wednesday was the last time forward Valtteri Filppula ever plays for the Detroit Red Wings, his tenure ended in one of the worst ways possible.
Not only did his team get eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7, but he left early in the contest after Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw appeared to slew foot him.
When asked if Shaw did slew foot Filppula, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock declined to answer the question directly.
“You guys watched the video, you decide,” Babcock said. “He’s hurt.”
If you haven’t watched the video, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Babcock added that Filppula will be ready for training camp, but whose training camp? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking $5 million annually.
That’s a big raise over his expiring five-year, $15,000,000 contract and one he might not get after struggling in the regular season with nine goals and 17 points in 41 games.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)