May 30, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
If Wednesday was the last time forward Valtteri Filppula ever plays for the Detroit Red Wings, his tenure ended in one of the worst ways possible.
Not only did his team get eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 7, but he left early in the contest after Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw appeared to slew foot him.
When asked if Shaw did slew foot Filppula, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock declined to answer the question directly.
“You guys watched the video, you decide,” Babcock said. “He’s hurt.”
If you haven’t watched the video, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Babcock added that Filppula will be ready for training camp, but whose training camp? He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking $5 million annually.
That’s a big raise over his expiring five-year, $15,000,000 contract and one he might not get after struggling in the regular season with nine goals and 17 points in 41 games.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17