May 30, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
The top three North American skaters heading into the 2013 NHL Entry Draft may not participate in fitness testing at the draft combine, according to NHL.com.
Defenseman Seth Jones and forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all played in the Memorial Cup championship game over the weekend, and the physical toll could prevent them from taking part in that aspect of the combine.
“In my opinion, you need about a week or two to get ready for some of those tests, and we have to respect what they’ve gone through here lately,” Pat Brisson, the agent for Jones and MacKinnon, told NHL.com.
“They’re in game shape, but you have to treat them like Ferraris in a sense that now these athletes have to prepare for these things. Not that they can’t do it, but we’ll undergo the medical exam and take it from there.”
Jones and the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League finished runner-up to MacKinnon and Drouin of the Halifax Mooseheads in the Memorial Cup final.
MacKinnon’s stock, which was already high coming into the draft as the No. 2-ranked prospect, seems have increased after a standout performanceNHL in the championship.
Jones entered the tournament as the top-ranked prospect, although MacKinnon notched the hat trick.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)