May 30, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
The top three North American skaters heading into the 2013 NHL Entry Draft may not participate in fitness testing at the draft combine, according to NHL.com.
Defenseman Seth Jones and forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all played in the Memorial Cup championship game over the weekend, and the physical toll could prevent them from taking part in that aspect of the combine.
“In my opinion, you need about a week or two to get ready for some of those tests, and we have to respect what they’ve gone through here lately,” Pat Brisson, the agent for Jones and MacKinnon, told NHL.com.
“They’re in game shape, but you have to treat them like Ferraris in a sense that now these athletes have to prepare for these things. Not that they can’t do it, but we’ll undergo the medical exam and take it from there.”
Jones and the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League finished runner-up to MacKinnon and Drouin of the Halifax Mooseheads in the Memorial Cup final.
MacKinnon’s stock, which was already high coming into the draft as the No. 2-ranked prospect, seems have increased after a standout performanceNHL in the championship.
Jones entered the tournament as the top-ranked prospect, although MacKinnon notched the hat trick.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)