May 30, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
The top three North American skaters heading into the 2013 NHL Entry Draft may not participate in fitness testing at the draft combine, according to NHL.com.
Defenseman Seth Jones and forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all played in the Memorial Cup championship game over the weekend, and the physical toll could prevent them from taking part in that aspect of the combine.
“In my opinion, you need about a week or two to get ready for some of those tests, and we have to respect what they’ve gone through here lately,” Pat Brisson, the agent for Jones and MacKinnon, told NHL.com.
“They’re in game shape, but you have to treat them like Ferraris in a sense that now these athletes have to prepare for these things. Not that they can’t do it, but we’ll undergo the medical exam and take it from there.”
Jones and the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League finished runner-up to MacKinnon and Drouin of the Halifax Mooseheads in the Memorial Cup final.
MacKinnon’s stock, which was already high coming into the draft as the No. 2-ranked prospect, seems have increased after a standout performanceNHL in the championship.
Jones entered the tournament as the top-ranked prospect, although MacKinnon notched the hat trick.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)