May 30, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Jeff Schultz reportedly wants out of the nation’s capital.
The longtime Caps defenseman has requested a trade, according to the Washington Examiner.
The news comes after the 27-year-old averaged a career-low 14:15 in ice time during the 2013 season and became increasingly frustrated with his role on the team.
According to the Examiner’s Brian McNally, Schultz first requested a move in mid-March when it became apparent head coach Adam Oates bumped him down the depth chart (this coming from Schultz’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet).
Schultz only appeared in 26 regular season contests this year and didn’t play in the postseason, as Oates opted to go with a six-man defensive unit comprised of Karl Alzner, Mike Green, John Carlson, John Erskine, Jack Hillen and Steven Oleksy.
A towering presence at 6-foot-6, 230 pounds, Schultz was Washington’s first round pick (27th overall) at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and has spent his entire career with the Caps.
His best year came in 2009-10, when he posted a career-high 23 points and led the NHL in plus-minus, with a +50 rating.
Schultz has one-year remaining on a four-year, $11 million deal signed in 2010 and, according to CapGeek, does not have a no-trade or no-movement clause.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 35
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 68
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 62
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)