May 30, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The NHL may end up selling the Phoenix Coyotes to the Renaissance Sports & Entertainment group led by Alberta investment banker George Gosbee, but it doesn’t sound like the league will be able to completely cut its exposure to the perpetually money-losing franchise.
A source close to the negotiations, who traded candor for anonymity, revealed the purchase price as $170 million. The capital structure would consist of RS&E putting in $45 million of equity, Fortress Investment Group lending $120 million (to be repaid by the fee Glendale taxpayers are going to pay the team to run the arena), and an $85 million loan from the NHL.
The $80 million the total capital investment ($250 million) exceeds the enterprise value of the purchase ($170 million) will be used as working capital.
Vendor financing isn’t wholly unusual in business transactions, but an NHL loan that will partly fund the Coyotes’ operations isn’t ideal from an optics standpoint. The NHL will eventually want that money back, people will say, and what better way to help the Coyotes’ bottom line than by helping Phoenix win hockey games?
Cue the wild conspiracy theories.
At any rate, the deal isn’t done yet. There’s still the matter of getting a favorable lease from the City of Glendale.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)