May 30, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The NHL may end up selling the Phoenix Coyotes to the Renaissance Sports & Entertainment group led by Alberta investment banker George Gosbee, but it doesn’t sound like the league will be able to completely cut its exposure to the perpetually money-losing franchise.
A source close to the negotiations, who traded candor for anonymity, revealed the purchase price as $170 million. The capital structure would consist of RS&E putting in $45 million of equity, Fortress Investment Group lending $120 million (to be repaid by the fee Glendale taxpayers are going to pay the team to run the arena), and an $85 million loan from the NHL.
The $80 million the total capital investment ($250 million) exceeds the enterprise value of the purchase ($170 million) will be used as working capital.
Vendor financing isn’t wholly unusual in business transactions, but an NHL loan that will partly fund the Coyotes’ operations isn’t ideal from an optics standpoint. The NHL will eventually want that money back, people will say, and what better way to help the Coyotes’ bottom line than by helping Phoenix win hockey games?
Cue the wild conspiracy theories.
At any rate, the deal isn’t done yet. There’s still the matter of getting a favorable lease from the City of Glendale.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)