May 30, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
The Canadian Hockey League is considering a ban on European goalies as a way to help Canadian and, to a lesser extent, American netminders in their development.
“The CHL has had discussions in a broader sense with Hockey Canada,” CHL commissioner David Branch told the Toronto Star. “One of the ideas put forward was eliminating goalies from the annual import draft to allow more focus on North American goalies.
“That is something we’re exploring.”
The CHL — which oversees the three major junior leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) — already restricts each of the 60 teams to two European imports, regardless of position.
For Hockey Canada — which oversees the country’s various national teams — the concern with European goalies playing in the CHL is that goaltending is an area of strength for nations like the United States and Finland, but not so much for Canada.
Via InGoal Magazine:
From falling short of high expectations at the World Juniors and other international youth tournaments, to three Europeans being named as finalists for this year’s Vezina Trophy as the NHL’s top goalie, to only one Canadian starter (Corey Crawford) left in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, to a really short list of no-brainer top candidates for next year’s 2014 Olympic team, the steady decline in the number of Canadian goalies playing in the NHL has finally trickled down to a state of near panic at the lower levels.
Team Canada’s starting goalie for the 2014 Olympics in Russia will be a matter of much debate. Carey Price, Roberto Luongo, Corey Crawford, Cam Ward, Mike Smith, Braden Holtby, and Marc-Andre Fleury are among the candidates. But not one of them is likely to receive a unanimous vote of confidence from anxious Canadian hockey fans.
Then there’s American Jonathan Quick, the defending Conn Smythe Trophy winner who’s been brilliant again in the 2013 playoffs.
Also, Tuukka Rask, Boston’s Finnish star.
Oh, and Jimmy Howard, the American who was so good for the Red Wings.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)