May 30, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Stephen Walkom is moving on.
Walkom advances to Round 3 along with Marc Joanette, Eric Fulatt, Wes McCauley, Dan O’Halloran, Dan O’Rourke, Chris Rooney and Brad Watson.
The move to include him in the officiating pool might come as a surprise but, according to TSN.ca, the NHL said it stands firmly behind his call from Game 7:
A league source explained to TSN on Thursday that Walkom’s job on the play was to watch behind the play and not concern himself with the puck.
The whistle was blown before the goal and the league agreed that the no-goal call was, “absolutely correct.”
Walkom, 49, is best known as the NHL’s former vice president and director of officiating. He left refereeing to take that post, but came out of retirement in 2009 to start calling games again.
He was named as one of the referees for the 2010 and ’11 Stanley Cup finals, and has worked two Game 7 already this postseason (last night’s Hawks-Wings finale and Detroit-Anaheim, with Eric Furlatt).
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)