May 30, 2013, 10:09 PM EST
It’s commonplace for hockey players to play hurt during the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Specifics on players’ injuries are often kept as hush-hush as possible (see: “lower-body” and “upper-body”) until after the post-season comes to an end or a team is eliminated.
On Thursday, the day after his team was knocked out of the playoffs by the Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told reporters who was playing hurt.
The list included several players, including goalie Jimmy Howard, who, according to the Detroit Free Press, pulled a hamstring at the end of the first-round series win over the Anaheim Ducks.
“We had lots of players banged up,” Holland said, as per the Detroit Free Press.
“All teams do. It’s the playoffs. You’re playing every other night. Players are getting beat up every second night. It’s a lot of hockey.”
Cleary was playing what was reported as a second-degree separation of his left shoulder and a fractured finger.
The most recent long-term injury of these playoffs for the Red Wings occurred early in Game 7 against the Blackhawks, when Valtteri Filppula suffered what the Detroit Free Press reported as a high-ankle sprain.
Click here to see exactly how Filppula was injured.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)