May 30, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
It’s commonplace for hockey players to play hurt during the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Specifics on players’ injuries are often kept as hush-hush as possible (see: “lower-body” and “upper-body”) until after the post-season comes to an end or a team is eliminated.
On Thursday, the day after his team was knocked out of the playoffs by the Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told reporters who was playing hurt.
The list included several players, including goalie Jimmy Howard, who, according to the Detroit Free Press, pulled a hamstring at the end of the first-round series win over the Anaheim Ducks.
“We had lots of players banged up,” Holland said, as per the Detroit Free Press.
“All teams do. It’s the playoffs. You’re playing every other night. Players are getting beat up every second night. It’s a lot of hockey.”
Cleary was playing what was reported as a second-degree separation of his left shoulder and a fractured finger.
The most recent long-term injury of these playoffs for the Red Wings occurred early in Game 7 against the Blackhawks, when Valtteri Filppula suffered what the Detroit Free Press reported as a high-ankle sprain.
Click here to see exactly how Filppula was injured.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)