May 30, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The future of the Pittsburgh Penguins will soon be on display in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Today, the AHL club announced it had signed defenseman Derrick Pouliot, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Pouliot, 19, just wrapped a successful campaign with WHL Portland, helping the Winterhawks capture the league title before finishing second at the 2013 Mastercard Memorial Cup in Saskatoon.
He, along with highly-touted ’13 draft prospect Seth Jones, were stars on the Portland blueline this season. Pouliot scored 45 points in 44 regular-season games, then added 20 points in 21 playoff games.
Pouliot should arrive with some fanfare given how the Penguins acquired him.
The spot he was selected at — No. 8 overall — was obtained as part of the Jordan Staal blockbuster deal, one that shook up the draft (which, you’ll remember, was held at the Consol Energy Center.)
Pouliot’s arrival also coincides with another key prospect signing.
Earlier this week, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton announced that Pittsburgh’s other first-round selection in 2012, OHL London defenseman Olli Maatta, would be joining the club as well.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)