May 30, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The future of the Pittsburgh Penguins will soon be on display in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Today, the AHL club announced it had signed defenseman Derrick Pouliot, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Pouliot, 19, just wrapped a successful campaign with WHL Portland, helping the Winterhawks capture the league title before finishing second at the 2013 Mastercard Memorial Cup in Saskatoon.
He, along with highly-touted ’13 draft prospect Seth Jones, were stars on the Portland blueline this season. Pouliot scored 45 points in 44 regular-season games, then added 20 points in 21 playoff games.
Pouliot should arrive with some fanfare given how the Penguins acquired him.
The spot he was selected at — No. 8 overall — was obtained as part of the Jordan Staal blockbuster deal, one that shook up the draft (which, you’ll remember, was held at the Consol Energy Center.)
Pouliot’s arrival also coincides with another key prospect signing.
Earlier this week, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton announced that Pittsburgh’s other first-round selection in 2012, OHL London defenseman Olli Maatta, would be joining the club as well.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)