May 30, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The future of the Pittsburgh Penguins will soon be on display in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Today, the AHL club announced it had signed defenseman Derrick Pouliot, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Pouliot, 19, just wrapped a successful campaign with WHL Portland, helping the Winterhawks capture the league title before finishing second at the 2013 Mastercard Memorial Cup in Saskatoon.
He, along with highly-touted ’13 draft prospect Seth Jones, were stars on the Portland blueline this season. Pouliot scored 45 points in 44 regular-season games, then added 20 points in 21 playoff games.
Pouliot should arrive with some fanfare given how the Penguins acquired him.
The spot he was selected at — No. 8 overall — was obtained as part of the Jordan Staal blockbuster deal, one that shook up the draft (which, you’ll remember, was held at the Consol Energy Center.)
Pouliot’s arrival also coincides with another key prospect signing.
Earlier this week, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton announced that Pittsburgh’s other first-round selection in 2012, OHL London defenseman Olli Maatta, would be joining the club as well.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)