May 30, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The future of the Pittsburgh Penguins will soon be on display in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Today, the AHL club announced it had signed defenseman Derrick Pouliot, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (eighth overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Pouliot, 19, just wrapped a successful campaign with WHL Portland, helping the Winterhawks capture the league title before finishing second at the 2013 Mastercard Memorial Cup in Saskatoon.
He, along with highly-touted ’13 draft prospect Seth Jones, were stars on the Portland blueline this season. Pouliot scored 45 points in 44 regular-season games, then added 20 points in 21 playoff games.
Pouliot should arrive with some fanfare given how the Penguins acquired him.
The spot he was selected at — No. 8 overall — was obtained as part of the Jordan Staal blockbuster deal, one that shook up the draft (which, you’ll remember, was held at the Consol Energy Center.)
Pouliot’s arrival also coincides with another key prospect signing.
Earlier this week, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton announced that Pittsburgh’s other first-round selection in 2012, OHL London defenseman Olli Maatta, would be joining the club as well.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)