May 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Matt Cooke‘s devastating hit on Marc Savard remains a contentious issue in hockey circles and the storyline isn’t going away with the Eastern Conference final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins set to begin.
In March of 2010, Cooke, the Penguins’ forward, hit Savard in the head with a blindside check as the Bruins’ forward went to take a shot.
As a result, Savard’s on-ice hockey career has ceased due to concussions. In October of 2012, the 35-year-old Savard, who last played an NHL game on Jan. 22, 2011, tweeted that there was “no comeback in the foreseeable future.”
This spring, Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards of NESN got into hot water during a broadcast after comparing Cooke to Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan. Edwards, who was confronted by Penguins’ GM Ray Shero, apologized for his remarks.
But, you get the idea.
“I can’t control other people’s opinions,” Cooke told Scott Burnside of ESPN.com.“I’ve learned that fans have emotions towards certain things and they’re going to be attached to them.
“I need to go out and prepare to play against the Bruins to the best of my ability. If I’m worried about that, it’s going to affect me in a negative way.”
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)