May 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Matt Cooke‘s devastating hit on Marc Savard remains a contentious issue in hockey circles and the storyline isn’t going away with the Eastern Conference final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins set to begin.
In March of 2010, Cooke, the Penguins’ forward, hit Savard in the head with a blindside check as the Bruins’ forward went to take a shot.
As a result, Savard’s on-ice hockey career has ceased due to concussions. In October of 2012, the 35-year-old Savard, who last played an NHL game on Jan. 22, 2011, tweeted that there was “no comeback in the foreseeable future.”
This spring, Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards of NESN got into hot water during a broadcast after comparing Cooke to Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan. Edwards, who was confronted by Penguins’ GM Ray Shero, apologized for his remarks.
But, you get the idea.
“I can’t control other people’s opinions,” Cooke told Scott Burnside of ESPN.com.“I’ve learned that fans have emotions towards certain things and they’re going to be attached to them.
“I need to go out and prepare to play against the Bruins to the best of my ability. If I’m worried about that, it’s going to affect me in a negative way.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)