May 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Matt Cooke‘s devastating hit on Marc Savard remains a contentious issue in hockey circles and the storyline isn’t going away with the Eastern Conference final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins set to begin.
In March of 2010, Cooke, the Penguins’ forward, hit Savard in the head with a blindside check as the Bruins’ forward went to take a shot.
As a result, Savard’s on-ice hockey career has ceased due to concussions. In October of 2012, the 35-year-old Savard, who last played an NHL game on Jan. 22, 2011, tweeted that there was “no comeback in the foreseeable future.”
This spring, Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards of NESN got into hot water during a broadcast after comparing Cooke to Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan. Edwards, who was confronted by Penguins’ GM Ray Shero, apologized for his remarks.
But, you get the idea.
“I can’t control other people’s opinions,” Cooke told Scott Burnside of ESPN.com.“I’ve learned that fans have emotions towards certain things and they’re going to be attached to them.
“I need to go out and prepare to play against the Bruins to the best of my ability. If I’m worried about that, it’s going to affect me in a negative way.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)