Penguins Cooke: ‘I can’t control other people’s opinions’

May 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders Getty Images

Matt Cooke‘s devastating  hit on Marc Savard remains a contentious issue in hockey circles and the storyline isn’t going away with the Eastern Conference final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins set to begin.

In March of 2010, Cooke, the Penguins’ forward, hit Savard in the head with a blindside check as the Bruins’ forward went to take a shot.

As a result, Savard’s on-ice hockey career has ceased due to concussions. In October of 2012, the 35-year-old Savard, who last played an NHL game on Jan. 22, 2011, tweeted that there was “no comeback in the foreseeable future.”

Cooke isn’t liked in Boston – a bit of an understatement. And members of the Bruins, like Milan Lucic, have not forgotten about the hit on Savard.

This spring, Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards of NESN got into hot water during a broadcast after comparing Cooke to Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan. Edwards, who was confronted by Penguins’ GM Ray Shero, apologized for his remarks.

But, you get the idea.

“I can’t control other people’s opinions,” Cooke told Scott Burnside of ESPN.com.“I’ve learned that fans have emotions towards certain things and they’re going to be attached to them.

“I need to go out and prepare to play against the Bruins to the best of my ability. If I’m worried about that, it’s going to affect me in a negative way.”

108 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. aklolzer - May 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Nobody in the entire NHL I’d like to see lay motionless on the ice than Cooke. Evander Kane got it started, finish it off Lucic.

• chanceoffleury1 - May 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM

In today’s game, there are a large number of players that opposing teams should fear more than Matt Cooke. He’s changed his game and it’s stupid for any team to get themselves worked up about playing him. I mean, as a Pens fan I encourage them to get worked up because it usually throws them off their game and the Pens capitalize on it, but it’s stupid to do it and it never works. I think the Bruins know this, too.

• infectorman - May 31, 2013 at 8:31 AM

“He’s changed his game”
        Why did he change his game?

You PITT fans are something else.

Put the final nail in the coffin of a players career, his livelihood and you all think it’s no big deal?

He is a piece of trash and should be out of the game, “changed game” or not.

He knew all along what his goals and strategies were when he was headhunting and ending careers, doesn’t make it any less egregious now that he’s “changed his game”, as you like to crutch on.

What a joke. Hope Thornton break his jaw.

“changed game”. pulease.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Zealot’s……

• micklethepickle - May 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM

@infectorman You can’t try and reason with Pens fans; they have no morals or ethics and will defend a POS like Cooke to the bitter end… at least, so long as he’s wearing their team’s sweater. It’s pretty disgusting, really. It’s one thing to excuse players diving/agitating (Alex Burrows comes to mind), but quite another to so vociferously defend someone who literally ruins lives. Post concussion syndrome is no joke, and Cooke made certain Savard’s life is irrevocably changed for the worse. Maybe when Crosby is being wheeled around by his nurse after multiple concussions PIT fanboys will change their mind… but I doubt it.

• independentsparty - May 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Chara on Pacioretty. Only difference is Max’s career wasn’t ended. Get over your tears. It’s hockey. Hits happen. For the season, Cooke has more points than half of Boston’s squad, playing the third line. You should be more worried about his ability to score timely goals. I would welcome the chance to laugh any Bruin into suspension if they decide to go “headhunter.” Hey, maybe Chara will wind up a classic and bounce someone’s head off the glass…

• hawkeedawg - May 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Not a real sports fan are you? Never wish for a player to be hurt, no matter who or what team they play for.

• hockeyflow33 - May 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Completely disagree. Players that don’t play the right way have no place in the game.

• 19to77 - May 31, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Even so. Wishing them hurt just continues the cycle. The solution for a cheapshot-artist is to be run out of the League BY the League, not laid out and dealt permanent injuries so that he can’t play. If that’s the only answer, where does it stop?

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Normally I would agree BUT Cooke has made a career of flat out cheap/dirty/dangerous hits and at some point he needs to answer.

An Eye for an Eye….no more….no less…

• 19to77 - May 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

And where does that stop? Suppose someone injures Cooke badly enough to take him out of the game, intentionally. Next game, some Penguin targets that player and does the same thing. Gee, that accomplished a lot. An eye for an eye doesn’t just stop with the guy you want to get hurt. The Penguins would get whoever hurt him back too. And so on and so on until… what, exactly? There’s no arbitrary end to it.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Karma

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I’m sure Lucic will be busy trying to take a run at the goalie, or Crosby, or boarding smaller players with little regard to their safety…he won’t have the time to try and go after Cooke.

The article is just trying to drum up some type of hype, as if this series even needs all these “storylines”. This isn’t a soap opera it’s hockey…who needs the drama.

Savard returned from the Cooke hit – it was Hunwick’s hit that officially did him in. Cooke’s hit was blindside, and did hit Savard’s head… but it was actually a clean hit, at the time…that’s why hockey changed the rules and Cooke has done his best to change with those rules. He’s done a good job, too.

• nunan - May 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Are you trying to rationalize Cooke’s complete decapitation of Savard? Cooke’s hit left him motionless on the ice and out for months. Hunwick’s tap was the straw the broke the camel’s back…Obviously, that second hit was not a career-ending type hit…but it was for Savard BECAUSE of Cooke’s hit. Come on. You are obviously biased here, given all that BS you wrote about Lucic. To then say Cooke’s hit was legal and imply he shouldn’t be blamed for it (hunwick should?) is just stupid. Cooke ended Savard’s career. Get past your bias and accept reality.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I’m saying that Cooke played by the rule book that was in print at the time. No one has called him a role model for it. I didn’t say Hunwick should be BLAMED for anything, the artical says that Savard’s career ended as a result of Cooke’s hit. It did not. He returned from that hit. Those are the facts.

I’m actually not even sticking up for anyone here, just reiterating the facts and that’s what seemingly got your panties all twisted.

Here’s the twister for Boston fans – Pacioretty was out of the ice too, had to be stretchered off…not one Boston fan cares. Except for the Boston press, they agreed that you can’t defend that hit. When it’s someone else, well, they’re dirty. Who’s biased?

• betrayedbylife - May 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM

you want the drama left out of the game yet you begin your post with a diatribe about lucic…

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Did you even READ the original post?

• ironyisadeadscene - May 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This is a serious question…..are you f#$@ing retarded?

• dt111905 - May 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Thank you @hockeywithrawal. Really liked your post!
        Lucic is such a dirty player. I cannot stand the way he plays.

Everyone is saying all these nasty things about Cooke. Yeah, he wasn’t the “cleanest” player back in the day, but his game has changed. Im sure if he was on your team you wouldn’t have a problem with him. Maybe I would feel the same about Lucic too if he was part of the Pens organization.

• micklethepickle - May 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

@dt111905 – look, I can’t STAND the Bruins, and Lucic in particular (him and Marchand are the worst of that bunch), but you can’t compare him and Cooke. Lucic plays on the edge and occasionally crosses the line into dirty play; I don’t like him as a player because of it. Cooke, as I said above, *ruins lives*. There is a big difference between being a ‘dirty’ player, and being an outright disgrace to the game. How do you think history will look on Lucic and Cooke? Lucic will likely be remembered for his physicality, for being one of the only 1st/2nd liners that fights with enforcers. Cooke will be remembered for ending careers. He is Bertuzzi without the squeaky clean redemption, just classless cheap shot after classless cheap shot. That you’d even try to deflect away from the issue by bringing Lucic shows you are a complete homer that would excuse anything and everything by a player on the team you follow.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Can’t really say much to that except eff off, but I see no separation between Lucic and Cooke, and these days Lucic is by far the dirtier player.

• micklethepickle - May 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM

As usual, Pens fans can do nothing to argue the facts, and just use personal opinion. I don’t care if you think there’s no difference between Cooke & Lucic, because every non-PIT homer would laugh you out of the room. Just go on youtube – there’s videos of both playing dirty, but only one of them has a record of INEXCUSABLE actions that dates back a decade. Here’s a hint – it ain’t Lucic.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 4:11 PM

There wasn’t ONE statement made in your original comment that would dictate the use of “facts” as a reasonable argument. Lucic will definitely have his highlight reel one day…the guy’s 24…he’s got 10 years to compile it. Facts…ok…

Savard concussed by Cooke
        Miller concussed by Lucic
        Pacioretty concussed by Chara in true goon fashion.

Those are the only facts I can really use here, you’d really have to look at the play of each of them. I’m telling you I see no difference. Lucic is no more than Cooke.

PIM – 2013 –

Lucic – 75

Cooke – 36

Hmmm….looks like the “facts” aren’t in your favor, pickleboy!

And you can climb down off your pedastal about “Pens fans”…you are no better, trust me – I don’t even know you and I can’t stand you. Perhaps we are all swine, yourself included. All I know for sure is that you are wrong, and I am right.

• micklethepickle - May 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I can’t help but notice you only picked ONE of Cooke’s injurious cheap shots as a comparison, and that you only put PIM (which itself is a woefully inadequate marker of ‘dirtyness’… especially with NHL refs calling them) from 2013. Maybe you’ve only been a Penguins’ fan for the last year, which would explain the vehemence you have in defending a classless POS like Cooke.

And I’m glad you don’t like me. If i had no regard for the quality of life of human beings, I wouldn’t like it when people called me out on my douche-baggery either.

Another of your ‘facts’ is pointing out that Lucic has a record of …. one dirty play. You say “he’s only 24″ as though that’s a guarantee there will be more in the future. Got a patent on that time machine yet?

Finally, I’m not perfect, but at the end of the day, I recognize that there is right and there is wrong – and unlike you, I don’t excuse extreme wrongs that have real, tragic effects on REAL PEOPLE’S LIVES simply because I happen to root for a team that encourages their athletes to grievously injure other athletes. Hopefully one of your family members can experience CTE so that you can dismiss their pain as blithely as you do all of Cooke’s victims.

2. Stiller43 - May 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Oh look, a-hole zer is back to wish injury on someone AGAIN. Stay classy buddy

3. sjsharks66 - May 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Cooke hit him March 2010 and he played his last game January 2011? That is a lot of hockey in between the incident. I remember him getting nailed a few more times after that.

I agree Cooke’s hit was disgusting and classless. It was terrible. However, use crosby as an example. He got the hit to concuss him the first time. Then the team let him back. The he got nailed again. Then concussed again. You all know the rest. Comeback, concussion and so on.

The real question is, can everyone solely blame matt cooke as he did not end his career just on that cheap shot alone. Im not defending cooke’s actions, as they were disgusting. Just curious with Boston fans opinions. (Not trying to start an argument. Would like a serious hockey talk for once on here) haha

• nikodmus - May 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM

The Cooke hit on Savard was not the kill shot, but it was certainly the mortal wound. Savvy was cleared to play in the 2010 postseason but was not the same player. Certainly wasn’t the same for the start of 2011 season. Hit by Matt Hunwik in January 2011 was the 2nd serious concussion in less than a year and he’s been shut down since.

Did Matt Cooke end Savard’s career? Not by himself, no. The hit however is the basis/genesis of Rule 48, so certainly a watershed moment in that respect.

• 19to77 - May 31, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Pretty much. Boston fans, correct me if I’m wrong, but the Cooke hit is considered the reason his career spiralled down in the first place. It didn’t end it, but it created the recurring issues that led to his early retirement. Without that hit, he wouldn’t have been vulnerable to further concussions – much as the first Crosby concussion made him vulnerable to the spiral that consumed nearly three years of his life.

• nikodmus - May 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Yes, as I said, Mortal wound, but not the kill shot.

• theseasonitis - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

While there are always idiot homers for every team, there are also reasonable fans who love the game. 90% of the fans in Pittsburgh were calling for Matt Cooke to be cut from the team after that hit. I was one of them. Even though his hits, including that one, were perfectly legal under league rules, enough was enough. Now, after that hit, the league finally saw the light and changed the rules – and Matt Cooke saw the light and changed his play. I don’t excuse how he used to play and never will, but I applaud the fact that he changed – whether it was from guilt, or fear of losing his job, or for any other reason – HE CHANGED.

As far as ending Savard’s career, here’s how I see it – Savard came back from that hit but he came back way too soon, and THAT is what ended his career. Look at Crosby – how long was he out after his concussion? A year and a half? He wanted to get back in the game too, like any player would, but he was smart enough to be completely honest with his doctors about his symptoms and smart enough to take care of himself – to not come back until he was completely free of any symptoms so he could preserve the longevity of his career. Yes, Savard wanted to get back in the game so he could help his team in the post season – that’s understandable. But look at the facts – he sustained a severe concussion in March 2010 and was back in the intensity of the playoffs only 60 days later? And you wonder why he wasn’t the same player? Crosby came back after a severe concussion and is just as good a player, if not better. That is because he took care of himself. Savard and his team management put getting back in the game ahead of his health, and that is why the January 2011 hit ended it for him. He never took the time to truly recover from the first concussion.

• nikodmus - Jun 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM

He changed? Really? I’m certainly not defending Marchand’s hit, but Matt Cooke has NOT changed.

• hockeyflow33 - May 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM

4. Habib Marwan - May 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

matt cooke ….. the reason some many of ya’ll despise him so much is cause he’s actually a skilled forward that can do more then just antagonize ….. if he were an insignificant waste of a roster space like … lets say patrick kaleta or zac rinaldo then his actions could be written off and shrugged off more easily

• jc310xc - May 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM

That said, and as a pens fan, he used to play some reaaaaally dirty hockey.

• ibieiniid - May 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM

you’re comparing a 34 year old’s game to a 22 year old? Rinaldo may not ever be a huge scorer, but he’s already a big part of their team. idk how many Rinaldo games you watched this year, but he’s improving his game and cleaning it up and has already taken big strides…. EARLY in his career. not when he’s 32. when they Flyers were putting together that comeback streak and Rinaldo went down with injury, they stopped winning. he is in no way a waste of a roster space.

• Habib Marwan - May 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I had to re-read this a 2nd time to make sure I was seeing this right….are you trying to say the Flyers went on a losing steak because Zac Rinaldo was out with an injury?? … please stop logging into this site and posting anything hockey related … you are delusional … obviously from watching too much NBA and Golf Channel

• ibieiniid - May 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM

not BECAUSE he was out… but that played a part in their comeback attempt failing. when he was in, the team had spirit. whether coincidence or not, when he got hurt, they didn’t show spirit for the rest of the season. anybody that watched every game would realize that… and don’t come at me with “well I didn’t watch every game” because that’s why I’m telling you… they were less of a team without him.

and don’t tell me not to post about hockey. just because you disagree with me doesn’t mean i’m wrong, guy.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

For 95% of Cooke’s career he has been a dangerous scumbag of a player. You CAN’T talk that away no matter how hard you try….

You mention Rinaldo…are you serious? He’s been in the NHL for a minute compared to Cooke. Please Rinaldo had a tough rookie season and this past season was a monster but unlike Cooke all Zac’s checks were clean…….

Ignorance is bliss

• Habib Marwan - May 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Rinaldo cant play hockey, he’s nothing but a thug … and that’s fine.. i have no problem with the way he plays , i like goons

• ibieiniid - May 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

it’s ridiculous to typecast rinaldo on his first couple years at the NHL level. he’s evolving. Flyers need to let it happen, which I’m sure they will…. hence the reason he kept his roster spot.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Habib…….Rinaldo’s ARE part of the game every team has one or needs one.

You are an ignorant fool……go away

5. peopletrains - May 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

There’s a difference between getting under someone’s skin and trying to take people’s heads off or blow their knee out every time you skate by them. This guy isn’t an antagonist, he’s a hack and an embarrassment.

6. taintedlombardis - May 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

This guy has it coming.

• 19to77 - May 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Ah, there you are. Was meaning to ask you, how’s Ovi’s golf season going?

7. pitpenguinsrulez - May 31, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Boston fans are still CRYING ULF!!! After Ulfs hit on Neely!

8. mordock57 - May 31, 2013 at 3:04 AM

It’d be nice, just once, to see a player judged on how his play has been THIS season, rather than several years ago.

• supercoop8 - May 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM

If you are judging players by THIS season then will you be the first person outside of Boston to sing Marchand’s praises???

• infectorman - May 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM

No it wouldn’t . Who gives a f*ck about how he’s playing now?
      no one here cares how he plays today, except in the context of neutralizing him.

It’s how he “played” that sticks out. And we don’t begrudge Penguin fans their skilled players, if that was Cooke has morphed into after “seeing the light” and finding the Hockey Jesus.

Perhaps he “changed his game” because he realized he was ending careers for the sake of a game. Maybe a twinge of guilt? He should be guilty cuz he’s a dirty f*ck!
      Make all the tree-hugging excuses you want Pen fans. Try to rationalize it all away this many years later.
      It ain’t gonna work. He is Hockey SCUM

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM

So is Lucic, so is Thornton, and once upon a time (since we’re all so focused on history) so was Chara…I can remember a certain Chara play that was meant to hurt another players head, eh? Dirty, cheap play, but he’s so celebrated by his fans. Now THAT is hockey scum.

• supercoop8 - May 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM

@HWD James Neal has just as many dirty hits if not more than Lucic, Thornton hits clean and fights other enforcers jas does Engelland, and that makes one for chara against the highlight reel of bad hits for cooke. I have been tired of the Cooke-Boston story line for a while and the Iginla trade debacle is a condemnation of sports writers using twitter without consequence not Jarome or anyone involved in the trade. But your arrogance to run around calling every other team goons and indignation of anything evenly remotely ant-pens is a joke.
        Congrats though on being the scum bag that called Boston classless a few days after the bombing

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

@coop – if you’re trying to start an uprising against me in Boston over the Boston people’s actions in the last game on this website, more power to you my friend. You act like scum, that’s what people see…sooooo…..you’re saying I should have been more sensitive, to those people, who were acting like complete a-holes, because of the bombing? Nah. The bombing was horrific, and shame the F*CK out of you for bringing it into a hockey post. THAT is classless.

• supercoop8 - May 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

@HWD http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/20/bruins-and-penguins-pay-tribute-to-boston/
        First comment bud. Your diatribe has no focus bud; who is the everyone you speak of?? An uprising?? I was just bringing up your quote, you being the one that throws the word class around every other word. Everyone already knows what kind of hockey fan you are, I would never have to turn people against you due to the fact they have already read the filth you spew. You call other people homers and only fans of their respective teams but never do you see the irony in it. You are the Sarah Palin of PHT.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Sorry thunder chief……Cooke is a very bad man.

• captainloaded - Jun 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM

yes, he is a horrible person, the guy does more charitable work than anyone in the Penguins organization.

9. REDSKINSFORLIFE - May 31, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I hope Cooke and Cindy go down in this series.

• theageofquarrel - May 31, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Says the bitter Craps fan

10. matt14gg - May 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I will be happy to accept that Matt Cooke has “changed” the day he stands up and admits he targeted Marc Savard’s head, from the blind side, and is probably the reason Savard’s career is over. Until then he is the same Matt Cooke, you know-the kind that kicks a guy in the back of the leg and cuts his achilles…on purpose.

11. REDSKINSFORLIFE - May 31, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Bitter over what? The caps have dominated Cindy in the last 3 years. Cindy is the biggest baby in the league, and only the best player according to pens fans.

• theageofquarrel - May 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Dominated?!?!?! Since when?

• theageofquarrel - May 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Just this season alone Penguins were 3-0 against the Craps. And please don’t ever forget that the Penguins OWN the Craps in the playoffs. ABSOLUTELY OWN THEM

• drone501 - May 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM

pens have owned the caps in the playoffs since the early 90s

• independentsparty - May 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Lol. Again, Cindy? No one in Pittsburgh cares. The caps haven’t been relevant…ever. One good season recently and every redskins fan crawls out of the woodwork and gets on the bandwagon. Hell, I live here now and RGIII dominated during the caps playoff…woes.

12. johnstone17 - May 31, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Yes you can change their opinions, Don’t be a dick.

13. csilojohnson - May 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Cooke didn’t end his career.
    Stop crying

14. nananatman - May 31, 2013 at 8:10 AM

“… or my elbows.”

15. bobhpine - May 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Savard’s former teammate Matt Hunwick ended his career.

Matt Cooke was involved with that hit somehow I’m sure.

16. dropthepuckeh - May 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Savard tried to come back but couldn’t. The Cooke hit was the reason. He was never the same. To say he played until January is ignoring the reality. He suffered head aches and dizziness but like any professional athlete, wanted to be back out there. It didn’t take much to knock him out again because he was already severely damaged. If you don’t believe it do some research on the latest concussion findings. It stays with you for life. The effects are cumulative. You don’t just heal like a broken bone.

All of the Penguins fans who defend Cooke or say “get over it” should be very aware that their star flopper is also one clean or dirty hit away from retirement. I don’t wish it on anybody as I would rather see them beat while healthy, but it is definitely a possibility.At that point Mario will throw a tantrum and there will be rule changes and special meetings and whatever but it will be too late.

• drone501 - May 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

with all the hits savard took, it was only a matter of time until even a hard body check was going to aggravate his concussion problem. the cooke hit was wrong, but ….

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM

It was good that Pacioretty could come back from Chara’s illegal head shot though, huh.

• dropthepuckeh - May 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Wasn’t illegal. Did the stanchion all of sudden appear in the rink for the first time or did Chara bring it with him to attack Max? Cooke is a dirty player, look at all of the times he has been involved in dirty plays. Walks like a duck, talks likes a duck.

Sorry your Habs(man) has had such a long summer already but at least Maxy can go to the movies as much as he likes.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

hahaha grabbing a player by the head and ramming it off the stanchion out of frustration isn’t illegal???? REALLY?

I think you are mistaking “not called” with “not illegal”. This is an artical from Boston.com…read it.

• theageofquarrel - May 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Dude,give up already the badass Bruins never do anything illegal. They are always the victim. ALWAYS

• independentsparty - May 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Had nothing to do with Savard being a smaller player… It’s hockey. If this were the 80’s this would be an afterthought.

17. charlutes - May 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

From what I’ve seen him do on the ice I would have banned Cooke from hockey, for life, a long time ago. The NHL could be a great league, but is made a complete joke by their continued allowance of fighting and a total lack of respect among players.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Boston would have very few players left on their bench if the league disallowed fighting and disrespect amongst players.

18. thesportsjudge - May 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Funny how ALL the Pitt fans are saying get over it BUT, when talking about poor Syndys’ hits against, well, you all know how it goes, his crybaby owner wanted the rules changed.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM

So half the people on here say that the rules were changed because of Matt Cooke, and you come back with the rules were changed because of Sid? Smart one.

• thesportsjudge - May 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

No, I said the owner WANTED the rules changed. I never said the rules were changed because Pitt lost her services for how long?

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Your jealousy is showing. Stiff upper lip, bud…stiff upper lip.

19. hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I don’t think there’s a Boston fan alive that’s hypocritical enough to comment on Cooke when they’ve got a roster full of goons, right?!

Cooke is the least of the storylines that will come out of this one. My prediction? Game 1 gets ugly, with Lucic trying to run (or board…gad knows the officials would never blow the whistle for Lucic boarding someone) any smaller player and also the goalie to get them out of the series. He’ll back down from Crankshaft, then Thornton will come out like the worthless piece of sh*t he is to try and mop that up.

As long as we’re bringing up history, hopefully Chara can refrain from any illegal blows to the head himself, eh? All the same I hope he stears clear of the stanchions around the Pens best players…funny how those things work.

Like I said, I really don’t think there are any Boston fans hypocritical enough to comment on Cooke.

• dropthepuckeh - May 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Go away

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM

You should lay in the street.

• dboldave - May 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I’ll sum up everything you seem to spew. The team I live closest to is classy and never does anything wrong, regardless of what the videos show! Your team is full of goons that do nothing but hit poor lil fellas that can’t stand up for themselves! Your team is comparable to criminals/terrorists and mine is comparable to brave soldiers who fight the good fight!

Get a grip dude, Matt Cooke is a piece of trash and if he wore a different jersey, like say a Flyers jersey, you’d be all over him.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Actually you prove my point more than anything. The point of this artical is that Cooke is somehow dirty, the boys from Boston are not. No…read above I’m not for any of this girly tear-fueled drama. I just simply think Boston fans have lost ALL rights to call another player dirty. Cooke isn’t trash but has had some sh*tty plays. Lucic isn’t trash but has had some sh*tty (and goonish) plays. Chara isn’t trash but there is no WAY to say he’s a clean player when he intentionally tried to end a guys career. Thornon…he’s trash.

• independentsparty - May 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Eh…poor summary. That’s about right. It’s hockey, players always look for a way to get an edge. Marchand and Lucic have performed the same nefarious “blind/dirty” hits everyone keeps ragging Cooke about. Again, that’s hockey. Fans turn a blind eye when it’s convenient. Keep your zamboni fueled with tears.

• dropthepuckeh - May 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM

So is it safe to assume that “Habsman” has come back as “hockeywithdrawal”? There can’t possibly be two people in the world so hell bent on attacking the Bruins on every post regardless of the topic. Do you get more pleasure out of your team winning or out of bashing the Bruins? I am guessing the latter. Kind of sad don’t you think?? Maybe you should take a break, have some water, and go outside for a few months. Maxie is okay. The Habs will be back in September. Move along now….

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Wake up, idiot…Boston fans like Boston. And no one else. It’s not a likeable team by any stretch. Take a look at the article…bashing the Bruins? This is an article bashing a Penguin, Boston fans got on here bashing also, so now that someone says…wait, WTF? a BOSTON fan bashing another player as dirty?

Nah, suck it up, whiner. Cooke’s a good player – though it’s cool you whiney as* babies had a chance to have a little b*tch-session on him. I haven’t seen Habsman since his Habs got ripped in round 1. Don’t assume that it’s out of the ordinary for someone to think the B’s are dirt.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM

You make it seem that Pitt is nothing but a bunch of Boy Scouts ………..you honestly believe that don’t you?

Unreal………speechless

Sigh

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I think you’ve missed the entirety of the point, there. Wait…oh yes…yes you’ve missed it all.

I did not draw any comparison to Boston players and anyone else except for the one Pen crucified by this article…did you read the article…did you see what I mean, there? So many Boston fans saying Cooke is dirty…which is laughable in its hypocrisy. So….I guess the real issue was that the original commentors were acting like the B’s are a bunch of Boy Scouts, which I disagree with immensely…then you commenting right back to me saying that the Pens aren’t Boy Scouts…wtf.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I did indeed read the article sir. My issue is you ………and how your beloved hockey club walks on water and does no wrong. And you defend a complete a$$hole that has made a career of destroying knees and ending careers…..as long as he wears Pitts’ sweater they do no wrong and you kill anybody that says different.

20. dboldave - May 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM

No doubt Lucic and Marchand have made some dirty hits. You can throw Ference in there too. My problem with the Penguins is that you have Mario Lemieux crying about the state of the game when Crosby gets hit but employs a player like Cooke. Every team is going to have players who will make dirty plays, it’s never going to change. But when you go to the press and cry about possibly walking away from the NHL and you have a player known for dirty play and do nothing to deter him, you are a hypocrite.

• dboldave - May 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Comparing Lucic and Chara to Cooke is like saying Seguin is comparable to Crosby. I mean, they’ve both scored goals right?!

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM

And Ryan Miller got concussed when Lucic decided to goon him.

And Pacioretty was concussed in a VERY scary way when Chara gooned him.

What are you not following?

21. spitfisher - May 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

What gets me with Matt Cooke is the fraude mario Lemieux who endorses this type of cheap play over the years and yet complains about it out the side of his mouth. what a hyprocrite, he still whining about the clutch and grab style of play. Reported MC has found Jesus and has changed his style of play, one doesn’t have to look to far to see the replays of Karlson’s tendon being cut to realise he full ****

PS. Does Hockeywithdrawal even watch hockey?

• thesportsjudge - May 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Spot on. Both comments.

• infectorman - May 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

P>S>S:

not a chance this buffoon ever played hockey. maybe started watching 6 months ago……at best

@Hockeywithdrawal: are you somehow getting paid by the keystroke and sheer idiocy of the posts you put into this site? Or are you just a Canadiens fan?

it’s either one or the other…

• ironyisadeadscene - May 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hockeywithdrawal is what’s called a “Crosby Fanboy” and not a hockey fan. He’s probably also a Heat fan.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM

You sound like a support-group idiot.

• gallyhatch - May 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hey Irony, it appears that a large majority of Penguins fans posting on these forums would fall into that category.

(ps, you still have the best username on this board. . . . d.e.p. & Patton were such a killer combo. . . check out their live version of Malpractice on youtube, great stuff!)

• hockeywithdrawal - May 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM

The fact that 7 people just agreed with you and your ninja tendon cutting theory in a pretty good indication of why I should stop this argument.

• thesportsjudge - May 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Would any fact, or hell, fiction, get you to stop posting?

22. drewsylvania - May 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM

If the league won’t do anything to Cooke, some player needs to. Them’s the breaks.

Oh, and on Rinaldo: If he’s been typecast, it’s been over his whole career. His career high in goals is 16–which came at AGE 16.

Suggesting that Rinaldo has offense in him is a little like saying Ichiro could hit home runs “if he wanted to”.

• laxman1944 - May 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

simply put Rinaldo is a grinder energy type player that will knock you on your ass (cleanly) and give the occasional goal.

AND you really saw opposing players had their heads on a swivel when he was on the ice last season.

23. gallyhatch - May 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Anyone on here trying to draw a comparison between Cooke & Chara or Lucic is either a Pittsburgh homer, or a flat out idiot who doesn’t pay attention. (possibly both) You think Bruins’ fans liked seeing Pacioretty on the ice? How stupid are you?

There is not a single player on the Bruins, Marchand included that has the rap sheet Cooke has, and that’s a fact.

Was Cooke’s hit legal at the time? Yes, it was. Was it Clean? Not by a f’ing longshot, he took him out at the head, it’s about as dirty as it gets. Any Pens fan trying to rationalize it needs to get their head out of their @$$.

Imagine Mario’s, and the rest of the city’s response had that happened to Crosby, to say you people would have a different perspective is an understatement.

And to the A-hole who wants to see Cooke flat out on the ice, get a life. You’re as much of a loser as the people sticking up for Matt Cooke. Changed game or not, that guy’s a scumbag.

What’s done is done, I have moved on. I don’t want to see Cooke injured, but I will never forget what that p.o.s. did.

24. lp0320 - May 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM

OK – I am a Pens fan. I read all of the crap that people post from both sides. I am middle aged and have followed hockey for 40 years. My son plays Division I Collegiate hockey. I like to think I’m pretty knowledgable about the game.

Every team has their ‘enforcer’. Yes, Cooke has changed his game. However, it does not excuse the way he played the game in the past. The cheap shot he put on Savard, while not illegal, was dirty. That being said, the skate to the calf was not intentional, no one could manage to do that going into the boards for a check at full speed. That was a freak accident. Even Don Cherry, who hates the Pens agreed.

Should Matt Cooke still be in the league? No. Should any one of the other cheap shot artists be in the league? No. The blame for the continuation of this kind of play lies with the player and with the League.

The saddest part of all of this is players with talent are targets. Marc Savard should still be playing hockey. Sidney Crosby, no matter what you think, is the best player in the league today, is one hit away from having his career ended. I see some of these hits while watching, and I close my eyes because sadly, nothing will change until the worst case scenario comes to pass. Clean up this game, but it is probably the best sport and requires the most talent and athleticism.

• gallyhatch - May 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Great post, I feel the same way about Patrice Bergeron, he’s had at least 4 concussions by now. The next bad hit could be his last. & that would be a damn shame, because he is an incredibly talented player.

I also know that a lot of the trolls above do not represent all Pittsburgh fans.

Good luck.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Why can’t all Pens(and for that matter all NHL) fans in general be that calm. I applaud you and your post. Very well written AND objective.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches