May 30, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
Now he’ll battle the team he turned down for the right to play in the Stanley Cup finals — and he’s not surprised by how things turned out.
“I was very fortunate that both teams were interested and I was fortunate that Calgary gave me that chance,” Iginla told the Penguins’ official website. “I chose Pitt. I’m thrilled.
“I know Boston is a great team and it was one of those situations that when I did it, I knew there was a big possibility that we’d be in this situation and here we are. I’m excited about the challenge.”
So far, the Pittsburgh Penguins have gotten exactly what they wanted out of Iginla. He hasn’t been their star player in the postseason, but he’s been a huge contributor with four goals and 12 points in 11 games. That puts him in fourth place among the Penguins, but only one Boston Bruins player has done better.
After missing out on Iginla, the Bruins acquired Jaromir Jagr. He’s struggled in the playoffs, but traditionally has been strong against the team that originally drafted him in 1990. During the 2012 playoffs, Jagr had a goal and seven points to help the Philadelphia Flyers eliminate the Penguins in six games.
Both players will attract a lot of attention in the Eastern Conference finals.
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 22
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 19
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 27
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 30
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)