May 30, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Now he’ll battle the team he turned down for the right to play in the Stanley Cup finals — and he’s not surprised by how things turned out.
“I was very fortunate that both teams were interested and I was fortunate that Calgary gave me that chance,” Iginla told the Penguins’ official website. “I chose Pitt. I’m thrilled.
“I know Boston is a great team and it was one of those situations that when I did it, I knew there was a big possibility that we’d be in this situation and here we are. I’m excited about the challenge.”
So far, the Pittsburgh Penguins have gotten exactly what they wanted out of Iginla. He hasn’t been their star player in the postseason, but he’s been a huge contributor with four goals and 12 points in 11 games. That puts him in fourth place among the Penguins, but only one Boston Bruins player has done better.
After missing out on Iginla, the Bruins acquired Jaromir Jagr. He’s struggled in the playoffs, but traditionally has been strong against the team that originally drafted him in 1990. During the 2012 playoffs, Jagr had a goal and seven points to help the Philadelphia Flyers eliminate the Penguins in six games.
Both players will attract a lot of attention in the Eastern Conference finals.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)