May 30, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Now he’ll battle the team he turned down for the right to play in the Stanley Cup finals — and he’s not surprised by how things turned out.
“I was very fortunate that both teams were interested and I was fortunate that Calgary gave me that chance,” Iginla told the Penguins’ official website. “I chose Pitt. I’m thrilled.
“I know Boston is a great team and it was one of those situations that when I did it, I knew there was a big possibility that we’d be in this situation and here we are. I’m excited about the challenge.”
So far, the Pittsburgh Penguins have gotten exactly what they wanted out of Iginla. He hasn’t been their star player in the postseason, but he’s been a huge contributor with four goals and 12 points in 11 games. That puts him in fourth place among the Penguins, but only one Boston Bruins player has done better.
After missing out on Iginla, the Bruins acquired Jaromir Jagr. He’s struggled in the playoffs, but traditionally has been strong against the team that originally drafted him in 1990. During the 2012 playoffs, Jagr had a goal and seven points to help the Philadelphia Flyers eliminate the Penguins in six games.
Both players will attract a lot of attention in the Eastern Conference finals.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)