May 30, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Andrew Ference won’t return to action for Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien confirmed as much after Thursday’s practice, saying the veteran defenseman still hasn’t received medical clearance to return from his undisclosed injury.
The 34-year-old hasn’t played since Game 5 of the Toronto series, but has resumed skating and was recently described as “on the mend,” by Julien.
Julien also stated that, even if Ference was healthy enough to return, there’s no guarantee he’d get in.
Young defensemen Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug have performed admirably in relief (Ference and Wade Redden missed the entire second round; Dennis Seidenberg only returned for Game 5) and could be tough to drop from the lineup.
That said, it could be hard for Boston to go without Ference’s postseason experience.
He has 110 career playoff games under his belt, appearing in two Stanley Cup finals (in ’04 with Calgary and during Boston’s 2011 championship).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)