Blackhawks-Red Wings was a TV ratings win

May 30, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

This follows the news from earlier in the week that Game 6 of the Blackhawks-Red Wings series doubled the local ratings of the White Sox-Cubs interleague baseball game in Chicago.

1. independentsparty - May 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

It was a great game. No surprise here.

2. sjsharks66 - May 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Hmm… Game 7 between two big teams, no other hockey on that night and no hockey until Saturday. Not surprised it got so many viewers.

3. imleftcoast - May 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Great news. This NHL/NBC deal is the one thing Bettman got right.

• pudgalvin - May 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Is it? I had to up my direct tv package to watch this series. I couldn’t believe it. I live in downtown Chicago and had to go to the third tier of my package to get the channel. I suppose it’s a win for somebody, but I don’t see how the local team in the playoffs isn’t on the basic cable channels.

• comeonnowguys - May 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Hell, if you live in a Chicago-adjacent market and the game is shown on WGN, there’s nothing you can do but turn on the radio. Pre-2007 style.

• lostpuppysyndrome - May 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Or you can find certain websites that will allow you to, you know, not pay an arm and a leg. Why pay for 1000 channels when you only watch 5-10? Or go to a bar.

• pudgalvin - May 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Well, I do get the tennis channel now, so I got that going for me, which is nice. I can’t stand sporting events that I actually care about in bars. Too many loud mouthed brosephs that don’t know what they’re talking about.

• imleftcoast - May 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Direct TV, enough said.

• comeonnowguys - May 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I switch between the two every so often, and I have that problem with Dish, too. Higher package, WGN America/WGN Chicago conflict.

4. alarese - May 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

What the article fails to mention is that a huge proportion of Metro Detroit viewers tune in to CBC. Of course, being an NBC site, this is not surprising.

• michiganhockey11 - May 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM

They watch it on CBC because you don’t have clearly biased Olczyk and gasbag Milbury doing the color commentary. Doc Emryk calls a good game, everybody is is absurd.

• gret9 - May 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Bologna! Eddie O was HIGHLY complimentary to Detroit players, singing the praises of Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Nyquist ect. He was critical of Blackhawk players such as Toews, Shaw and Crawford. He flat out said the penalty shot call was questionable. Didn’t seem to freak out as much as some others on TV did about the disallowed goal. Said some of the penalty calls against the Blackhawks that I thought were questionable (now I AM biased ;) ) were good calls. I think Olczyk is went out of his way to try to be even handed and is one of the best color guys in any sport on TV today.

5. scaarepittschamberofcommerce - May 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

yeah, sounds to me like more of a directv problem. definitely should have just gone to a bar though.

6. 0ffsides - May 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I watched the game on NBC because it was in HD, no other reason. I turned to CBC during periods because I’d rather listen to Don Cherry than Millen/Jones. If CBC was broadcast in HD it would be the only channel I’d watch.

• 0ffsides - May 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

had Matt Millen on the brain from a previous poster, I meant Milbury….

7. gatorjr - May 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I can’t stand the hockey suck ups that are Pierre MacQuire, Mike Milbury, and company that work for NBC Sports broadcasting. Bias is NOT THEIR JOB!!!!

8. valoisjoeybfeld69 - May 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Who said the lockout would hurt the popularity of this great sport?

9. mizbinboston - May 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Intense, exciting series. Obviously would’ve liked a different outcome, but I’m insanely proud of this Red Wings team. Best of luck against LA, Chicago!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches