May 29, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The referees for tonight’s Western Conference semifinal Game 7 between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings are Stephen Walkom (#24) and Dan O’Rourke (#9).
Working the lines will be “she told me her name was Billy” Jean Morin (#97) and Brian “Killer Bee” Murphy (#97).
Walkom, 49, is best known as the NHL’s former vice president and director of officiating. He left refereeing to take that post, but came out of retirement in 2009 to start calling games again.
He was named as one of the referees for the 2010 and ’11 Stanley Cup finals, and has worked one Game 7 already this postseason (Detroit-Anaheim, with Eric Furlatt).
As for O’Rourke, he worked a Game 7 as well — Washington-New York — and worked Game 1 of the Ottawa-Montreal series (along with Mike Leggo), tagging Sens defenseman Eric Gryba with a five-minute interference penalty for his hit on Montreal’s Lars Eller.
O’Rourke was also responsible for this highly debatable hooking call on Sidney Crosby in Game 5 of the Pittsburgh-Ottawa series:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It should be noted, however, that O’Rourke was one of the four referees selected to work the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)