May 29, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The referees for tonight’s Western Conference semifinal Game 7 between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings are Stephen Walkom (#24) and Dan O’Rourke (#9).
Working the lines will be “she told me her name was Billy” Jean Morin (#97) and Brian “Killer Bee” Murphy (#97).
Walkom, 49, is best known as the NHL’s former vice president and director of officiating. He left refereeing to take that post, but came out of retirement in 2009 to start calling games again.
He was named as one of the referees for the 2010 and ’11 Stanley Cup finals, and has worked one Game 7 already this postseason (Detroit-Anaheim, with Eric Furlatt).
As for O’Rourke, he worked a Game 7 as well — Washington-New York — and worked Game 1 of the Ottawa-Montreal series (along with Mike Leggo), tagging Sens defenseman Eric Gryba with a five-minute interference penalty for his hit on Montreal’s Lars Eller.
O’Rourke was also responsible for this highly debatable hooking call on Sidney Crosby in Game 5 of the Pittsburgh-Ottawa series:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It should be noted, however, that O’Rourke was one of the four referees selected to work the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32