May 29, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The referees for tonight’s Western Conference semifinal Game 7 between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings are Stephen Walkom (#24) and Dan O’Rourke (#9).
Working the lines will be “she told me her name was Billy” Jean Morin (#97) and Brian “Killer Bee” Murphy (#97).
Walkom, 49, is best known as the NHL’s former vice president and director of officiating. He left refereeing to take that post, but came out of retirement in 2009 to start calling games again.
He was named as one of the referees for the 2010 and ’11 Stanley Cup finals, and has worked one Game 7 already this postseason (Detroit-Anaheim, with Eric Furlatt).
As for O’Rourke, he worked a Game 7 as well — Washington-New York — and worked Game 1 of the Ottawa-Montreal series (along with Mike Leggo), tagging Sens defenseman Eric Gryba with a five-minute interference penalty for his hit on Montreal’s Lars Eller.
O’Rourke was also responsible for this highly debatable hooking call on Sidney Crosby in Game 5 of the Pittsburgh-Ottawa series:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It should be noted, however, that O’Rourke was one of the four referees selected to work the 2012 Stanley Cup finals.
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 10
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 18
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 21
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 16
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 53
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35