May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars are in negotiations to hold their 2013-14 training camp in Fort Worth, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
“We’re in some pretty serious discussions with them, and hopefully, we’ll have something put together real soon,” Fort Worth public events director Kirk Slaughter said. “We think it would be a good marriage between between their organization and all the hockey fans on this side of the Metroplex.
“We think it would be a fun week.”
The city and team are looking at a short camp from Sept. 11-13 at the Fort Worth Convention Center arena, which was formerly home to a pair of Central Hockey League clubs.
The move would be part of Dallas’ re-branding effort to extend its presence throughout the state of Texas and beyond.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.”
To that end, the Stars have scheduled an exhibition game to be played in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)