May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM EST
The Dallas Stars are in negotiations to hold their 2013-14 training camp in Fort Worth, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
“We’re in some pretty serious discussions with them, and hopefully, we’ll have something put together real soon,” Fort Worth public events director Kirk Slaughter said. “We think it would be a good marriage between between their organization and all the hockey fans on this side of the Metroplex.
“We think it would be a fun week.”
The city and team are looking at a short camp from Sept. 11-13 at the Fort Worth Convention Center arena, which was formerly home to a pair of Central Hockey League clubs.
The move would be part of Dallas’ re-branding effort to extend its presence throughout the state of Texas and beyond.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.”
To that end, the Stars have scheduled an exhibition game to be played in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)