May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars are in negotiations to hold their 2013-14 training camp in Fort Worth, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
“We’re in some pretty serious discussions with them, and hopefully, we’ll have something put together real soon,” Fort Worth public events director Kirk Slaughter said. “We think it would be a good marriage between between their organization and all the hockey fans on this side of the Metroplex.
“We think it would be a fun week.”
The city and team are looking at a short camp from Sept. 11-13 at the Fort Worth Convention Center arena, which was formerly home to a pair of Central Hockey League clubs.
The move would be part of Dallas’ re-branding effort to extend its presence throughout the state of Texas and beyond.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.”
To that end, the Stars have scheduled an exhibition game to be played in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)