May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars are in negotiations to hold their 2013-14 training camp in Fort Worth, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
“We’re in some pretty serious discussions with them, and hopefully, we’ll have something put together real soon,” Fort Worth public events director Kirk Slaughter said. “We think it would be a good marriage between between their organization and all the hockey fans on this side of the Metroplex.
“We think it would be a fun week.”
The city and team are looking at a short camp from Sept. 11-13 at the Fort Worth Convention Center arena, which was formerly home to a pair of Central Hockey League clubs.
The move would be part of Dallas’ re-branding effort to extend its presence throughout the state of Texas and beyond.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.”
To that end, the Stars have scheduled an exhibition game to be played in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)