May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars are in negotiations to hold their 2013-14 training camp in Fort Worth, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
“We’re in some pretty serious discussions with them, and hopefully, we’ll have something put together real soon,” Fort Worth public events director Kirk Slaughter said. “We think it would be a good marriage between between their organization and all the hockey fans on this side of the Metroplex.
“We think it would be a fun week.”
The city and team are looking at a short camp from Sept. 11-13 at the Fort Worth Convention Center arena, which was formerly home to a pair of Central Hockey League clubs.
The move would be part of Dallas’ re-branding effort to extend its presence throughout the state of Texas and beyond.
“We’ve had a long-standing relationship with Fox Sports Southwest, and we’re very interested in making ourselves the Hockey Team of Texas, and really the entire Southwest,’’ Stars president Jim Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “We’d love to expand our footprint from New Orleans to Tulsa to Houston and beyond.”
To that end, the Stars have scheduled an exhibition game to be played in Oklahoma City on Sept. 27.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 62
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)