May 29, 2013, 9:12 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators’ resilient 2013 season argues that the franchise’s future is bright. Still, GM Bryan Murray has a lot of questions to answer (and probably some significant holes to fill).
Murray at least took care of one of them on Wednesday, as the Ottawa Sun reports that he parted ways with Guillaume Latendresse.
The explanation was simple enough for the oft-injured 26-year-old winger: he couldn’t get it done, although his tough luck with injuries begs a few “what if?” questions.
“If he hadn’t have gotten hurt he’d have been able to contribute here,” Murray said.
” … We knew his foot speed wasn’t going to be the reason we signed him. We thought around the net, being a front-of-the-net, goals, offensive zone type of guy and it never really got there for him.”
Daniel Alfredsson‘s retirement is possibly the most significant change, but there are some other things to ponder.
At 39, Sergei Gonchar‘s best days are behind him, so is it worth giving him the two-year contract he’s reportedly asking for? Will the team sign guys with one year left on their deals (such as Milan Michalek, Cory Conacher, Robin Lehner and Jared Cowen) to extensions?
There’s a lot to like about this team, although it could look quite different in 2013-14.
Latendresse seems upbeat about it, at least.
Dont cry because it’s done. Smile because it happened.
— Gui Latendresse (@thetender73) May 29, 2013
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)