May 29, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ resilient 2013 season argues that the franchise’s future is bright. Still, GM Bryan Murray has a lot of questions to answer (and probably some significant holes to fill).
Murray at least took care of one of them on Wednesday, as the Ottawa Sun reports that he parted ways with Guillaume Latendresse.
The explanation was simple enough for the oft-injured 26-year-old winger: he couldn’t get it done, although his tough luck with injuries begs a few “what if?” questions.
“If he hadn’t have gotten hurt he’d have been able to contribute here,” Murray said.
” … We knew his foot speed wasn’t going to be the reason we signed him. We thought around the net, being a front-of-the-net, goals, offensive zone type of guy and it never really got there for him.”
Daniel Alfredsson‘s retirement is possibly the most significant change, but there are some other things to ponder.
At 39, Sergei Gonchar‘s best days are behind him, so is it worth giving him the two-year contract he’s reportedly asking for? Will the team sign guys with one year left on their deals (such as Milan Michalek, Cory Conacher, Robin Lehner and Jared Cowen) to extensions?
There’s a lot to like about this team, although it could look quite different in 2013-14.
Latendresse seems upbeat about it, at least.
Dont cry because it’s done. Smile because it happened.
— Gui Latendresse (@thetender73) May 29, 2013
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)