May 29, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ resilient 2013 season argues that the franchise’s future is bright. Still, GM Bryan Murray has a lot of questions to answer (and probably some significant holes to fill).
Murray at least took care of one of them on Wednesday, as the Ottawa Sun reports that he parted ways with Guillaume Latendresse.
The explanation was simple enough for the oft-injured 26-year-old winger: he couldn’t get it done, although his tough luck with injuries begs a few “what if?” questions.
“If he hadn’t have gotten hurt he’d have been able to contribute here,” Murray said.
” … We knew his foot speed wasn’t going to be the reason we signed him. We thought around the net, being a front-of-the-net, goals, offensive zone type of guy and it never really got there for him.”
Daniel Alfredsson‘s retirement is possibly the most significant change, but there are some other things to ponder.
At 39, Sergei Gonchar‘s best days are behind him, so is it worth giving him the two-year contract he’s reportedly asking for? Will the team sign guys with one year left on their deals (such as Milan Michalek, Cory Conacher, Robin Lehner and Jared Cowen) to extensions?
There’s a lot to like about this team, although it could look quite different in 2013-14.
Latendresse seems upbeat about it, at least.
Dont cry because it’s done. Smile because it happened.
— Gui Latendresse (@thetender73) May 29, 2013
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)