May 29, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ resilient 2013 season argues that the franchise’s future is bright. Still, GM Bryan Murray has a lot of questions to answer (and probably some significant holes to fill).
Murray at least took care of one of them on Wednesday, as the Ottawa Sun reports that he parted ways with Guillaume Latendresse.
The explanation was simple enough for the oft-injured 26-year-old winger: he couldn’t get it done, although his tough luck with injuries begs a few “what if?” questions.
“If he hadn’t have gotten hurt he’d have been able to contribute here,” Murray said.
” … We knew his foot speed wasn’t going to be the reason we signed him. We thought around the net, being a front-of-the-net, goals, offensive zone type of guy and it never really got there for him.”
Daniel Alfredsson‘s retirement is possibly the most significant change, but there are some other things to ponder.
At 39, Sergei Gonchar‘s best days are behind him, so is it worth giving him the two-year contract he’s reportedly asking for? Will the team sign guys with one year left on their deals (such as Milan Michalek, Cory Conacher, Robin Lehner and Jared Cowen) to extensions?
There’s a lot to like about this team, although it could look quite different in 2013-14.
Latendresse seems upbeat about it, at least.
Dont cry because it’s done. Smile because it happened.
— Gui Latendresse (@thetender73) May 29, 2013
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)