May 29, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Last week, we passed along a report that new Avs head coach Patrick Roy was targeting QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda’s Andre Tourigny as a potential assistant in Colorado.
Today, it appears that hire is ready to be made.
The Denver Post — by way of a TVA Sports — reports the Avs have reached a tentative agreement to hire Tourigny.
Here’s more, from the Post’s Adrian Dater:
During a news conference Wednesday morning in Quebec to address media there about the future of the Quebec Remparts team he departed, Roy told TheQnews.ca:
“[Tuesday] we had, you can call it, an agreement in principle but now we have to send the contract over to Andre for him to analyze and in the end make his decision.
“Maybe he’s decided to accept the offer by the Avalanche, but at the same time Andre is part of the group of people I’d like to work with.”
The Avalanche declined to comment Wednesday afternoon on the reports.
Like Roy with QMHJL Quebec, Tourigny held both the coach and GM label with Rouyn-Noranda, the club he’s worked for since 2003.
He’s been an assistant coach for Team Canada in each of the last three World Junior tournaments, and also coached at the U-18 level.
On a related note, Rouyn-Noranda has scheduled a press conference for Thursday morning.
(Image courtesy Rouyn-Noranda website)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)