May 29, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Philadelphia and Nashville are in a bidding war.
This time, though, the stakes aren’t as high as the $110 million for Shea Weber — instead, they’re for an Austrian winger named Michael Raffl.
Raffl, according to CSN Philly, is in hot demand after a standout season with Leksands IF of the Allsvenskan (Swedish second division).
Flyers scout Dave Brown went over to the World Championships to scout Raffl, who was playing for Team Austria. Brown was impressed with Raffl’s bite and ability to raise his game.
“You have to almost project how are they going to play in North America and will they compete physically or not,” said Brown. “He showed it. Somebody gives him a push and gives them a crosscheck back
“For me, really, are they competitive? You want to see if a guy gives him a shot he’ll do it back.”
It’s believed the Flyers and Predators are the two teams closest to signing the 24-year-old Raffl, according to Swedish newspaper Dalarnas Tidningar.
Raffl led Leksands with 24 goals and 46 points this season (of note, Leksands was the same team ’12 first-round pick Filip Forsberg played for this season), but it’s believed interest really piqued at the Worlds, where Raffl played on a line with Buffalo standout Tomas Vanek and scored two points in an 8-4 loss to Russia.
(Image courtesy Leksands.se)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)