May 29, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Philadelphia and Nashville are in a bidding war.
This time, though, the stakes aren’t as high as the $110 million for Shea Weber — instead, they’re for an Austrian winger named Michael Raffl.
Raffl, according to CSN Philly, is in hot demand after a standout season with Leksands IF of the Allsvenskan (Swedish second division).
Flyers scout Dave Brown went over to the World Championships to scout Raffl, who was playing for Team Austria. Brown was impressed with Raffl’s bite and ability to raise his game.
“You have to almost project how are they going to play in North America and will they compete physically or not,” said Brown. “He showed it. Somebody gives him a push and gives them a crosscheck back
“For me, really, are they competitive? You want to see if a guy gives him a shot he’ll do it back.”
It’s believed the Flyers and Predators are the two teams closest to signing the 24-year-old Raffl, according to Swedish newspaper Dalarnas Tidningar.
Raffl led Leksands with 24 goals and 46 points this season (of note, Leksands was the same team ’12 first-round pick Filip Forsberg played for this season), but it’s believed interest really piqued at the Worlds, where Raffl played on a line with Buffalo standout Tomas Vanek and scored two points in an 8-4 loss to Russia.
(Image courtesy Leksands.se)
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)