Quenneville: United Center ice ‘fine’ after Stones concert

May 29, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT

Joel Quenneville AP

It’s been a busy last 24 hours at the United Center, as staff raced to transition the arena from Tuesday’s Rolling Stones concert to Wednesday’s Game 7 between the Blackhawks and Red Wings.

So, how’s the ice?

“It’s fine,” said ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville, when asked about tonight’s playing surface.

That ringing endorsement comes as temperatures in Chicago hit the 80s on Wednesday, with relatively high humidity (71 percent).

Ice conditions have become a hot topic this postseason, thanks in large part to a number of delay of game penalties for pucks being shot over the glass.

Many NHL coaches feel poor ice conditions often result in an inability for pucks to lay flat on the ice. When pucks are on edge or rolling, the likelihood of them being flipped over the glass increases.

“I was never a big fan of the rule, quite honest, because of the ice conditions in a lot of the buildings,” Kings head coach Darryl Sutter explained on Tuesday. “The puck is not always flat on the ice, and that’s not the players’ fault.”

In their opening-round victory over the Ducks, the Red Wings were almost derailed by a delay of game penalty to Henrik Zetterberg late in the third period of Game 7.

Anaheim converted with the man advantage to cut Detroit’s lead to 3-2, resulting in a frenzied final few minutes of the game.

Related

NHL ref: ‘I hate’ the puck-over-glass penalty

Crosby supports video review for puck-over-glass penalties

Video: Is it time to re-evalute delay of game penalty?

1. drone501 - May 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

ice will be fine once they gather up all the DEPENDS.

2. imleftcoast - May 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

You can’t always get what you want.

• handsofsweed - May 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Yeah. I try sometimes, but I always fiind that I get what I need.

3. kicksave1980 - May 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Obviously you always want perfect ice, but “bad ice” is the norm for this time of the year in the majority of arenas. The game may be sloppier, but both teams have to use the same sheet of ice, so I always laugh at these stories.

4. jcmeyer10 - May 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Yes yes, Anaheim is definitely playing Detroit. I know it’s not a huge deal but you guys are getting paid the big bucks. Or at least getting to write about hockey for a living instead of something less fun. Act like you want it.

• jcmeyer10 - May 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Oh god, please delete my comment. Or let it stand as a testament to my jackassery. I am at your mercy.

• imleftcoast - May 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Looks like Mike’s mom came down the basement stairs and gave you the big thumbs-down, comment remains.

• jcmeyer10 - May 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Well I earned it. Also, picturing a scene like in Gladiator, where Mike’s mom is at the top of the stairs, light behind her, slowly turning her thumb down as the crowd erupts.

• Mike Halford - May 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

BLOG LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY. RULE NO. 51, NO EXCUSES.

Anyway, I just saw this comment. I could delete it, but it’d ruin the thread and to be honest, this is fun.

You’ll always be welcome in the basement, Jeff.

• devilsarethebest - May 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Like a boss, Mike.

• jcmeyer10 - May 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Haha, thanks. I gotta be able to take it if I dish it out.

• imleftcoast - May 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Mike, you’re a good sport. Rule No. 52, mom’s basement jokes are never meant to be taken personally.

Worst team in the NHL?