May 29, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
It’s been a busy last 24 hours at the United Center, as staff raced to transition the arena from Tuesday’s Rolling Stones concert to Wednesday’s Game 7 between the Blackhawks and Red Wings.
So, how’s the ice?
“It’s fine,” said ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville, when asked about tonight’s playing surface.
That ringing endorsement comes as temperatures in Chicago hit the 80s on Wednesday, with relatively high humidity (71 percent).
Ice conditions have become a hot topic this postseason, thanks in large part to a number of delay of game penalties for pucks being shot over the glass.
Many NHL coaches feel poor ice conditions often result in an inability for pucks to lay flat on the ice. When pucks are on edge or rolling, the likelihood of them being flipped over the glass increases.
“I was never a big fan of the rule, quite honest, because of the ice conditions in a lot of the buildings,” Kings head coach Darryl Sutter explained on Tuesday. “The puck is not always flat on the ice, and that’s not the players’ fault.”
In their opening-round victory over the Ducks, the Red Wings were almost derailed by a delay of game penalty to Henrik Zetterberg late in the third period of Game 7.
Anaheim converted with the man advantage to cut Detroit’s lead to 3-2, resulting in a frenzied final few minutes of the game.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)