May 29, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
How serious are the Coyotes about retaining the services of head coach Dave Tippett?
Just ask GM Don Maloney, who told the Arizona Republic he’s refusing to let any other NHL team speak with Tippett.
Maloney wouldn’t say how many teams have asked for permission, but said he’s turned down all requests — furthering the notion that Phoenix is going to retain Tippett’s services come hell or high water.
“We’re not thinking about other coaches,” he explained. “We’re thinking one guy, and that’s all we want.
“Otherwise I’ll see if I can rent his house for him next year or something. If I have to go to his wife, his parents and his dog, I’ll figure something out.”
Yesterday, during a presser to discuss his new “long-term” contract extension as general manager, Maloney said the Coyotes would “do everything in our power” to retain Tippett, who has been with Phoenix since 2009 and took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012.
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage and is believed to be on a number of team’s wish lists — including Dallas and Vancouver, both of whom are without head coaches.
Based on Maloney’s latest words and actions, it doesn’t appear the Canucks and/or Stars will ever get close to Tippett.
The Coyotes recently locked up two key parts of Tippett’s staff — the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke — and, according to the Republic’s Sarah McLellan, Maloney and Tippett are “already close on actual terms” for a new deal.
The waiting game, as is often the case with the Coyotes, hinges on the ownership situation.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)