May 29, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
How serious are the Coyotes about retaining the services of head coach Dave Tippett?
Just ask GM Don Maloney, who told the Arizona Republic he’s refusing to let any other NHL team speak with Tippett.
Maloney wouldn’t say how many teams have asked for permission, but said he’s turned down all requests — furthering the notion that Phoenix is going to retain Tippett’s services come hell or high water.
“We’re not thinking about other coaches,” he explained. “We’re thinking one guy, and that’s all we want.
“Otherwise I’ll see if I can rent his house for him next year or something. If I have to go to his wife, his parents and his dog, I’ll figure something out.”
Yesterday, during a presser to discuss his new “long-term” contract extension as general manager, Maloney said the Coyotes would “do everything in our power” to retain Tippett, who has been with Phoenix since 2009 and took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012.
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage and is believed to be on a number of team’s wish lists — including Dallas and Vancouver, both of whom are without head coaches.
Based on Maloney’s latest words and actions, it doesn’t appear the Canucks and/or Stars will ever get close to Tippett.
The Coyotes recently locked up two key parts of Tippett’s staff — the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke — and, according to the Republic’s Sarah McLellan, Maloney and Tippett are “already close on actual terms” for a new deal.
The waiting game, as is often the case with the Coyotes, hinges on the ownership situation.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32