May 29, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
How serious are the Coyotes about retaining the services of head coach Dave Tippett?
Just ask GM Don Maloney, who told the Arizona Republic he’s refusing to let any other NHL team speak with Tippett.
Maloney wouldn’t say how many teams have asked for permission, but said he’s turned down all requests — furthering the notion that Phoenix is going to retain Tippett’s services come hell or high water.
“We’re not thinking about other coaches,” he explained. “We’re thinking one guy, and that’s all we want.
“Otherwise I’ll see if I can rent his house for him next year or something. If I have to go to his wife, his parents and his dog, I’ll figure something out.”
Yesterday, during a presser to discuss his new “long-term” contract extension as general manager, Maloney said the Coyotes would “do everything in our power” to retain Tippett, who has been with Phoenix since 2009 and took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012.
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage and is believed to be on a number of team’s wish lists — including Dallas and Vancouver, both of whom are without head coaches.
Based on Maloney’s latest words and actions, it doesn’t appear the Canucks and/or Stars will ever get close to Tippett.
The Coyotes recently locked up two key parts of Tippett’s staff — the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke — and, according to the Republic’s Sarah McLellan, Maloney and Tippett are “already close on actual terms” for a new deal.
The waiting game, as is often the case with the Coyotes, hinges on the ownership situation.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)