May 29, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The Eastern Conference finals aren’t kicking off until Saturday, so that allows the Boston Bruins a lot of time to rest up. It also opens the door for them to gather a lot of bulletin board material from various pundits picking the Pittsburgh Penguins to win the series.
“That’s how it goes sometimes,” Marchand said. “Obviously, they are the favorites. They have some guys that are very skilled and very talented, and they have the two best players in the world . . . and then you add Iginla. And their third and fourth line are playing so well right now.
“We’re in over our heads. We’ve got a big job to do. We’re all excited to try it out and see how it goes …”
The 25-year-old thinks that they might face an even tougher challenge than when many counted them out against the Vancouver Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
“Things can happen in hockey, and you can get some good bounces. Hopefully we get some of those,” Marchand said. “In any seven-game series you definitely want to wear the other guys down, especially their top guys. But Pittsburgh is a little different. They’ve got some very physical guys over there, and their third and fourth lines play very hard.
“Even the first line with [Chris] Kunitz and [Pascal] Dupuis, those are hard-working guys. Second line with Neal and Iginla, those guys will work, too. I think those guys will battle a lot harder than Vancouver did in the Finals.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)