May 29, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
The Eastern Conference finals aren’t kicking off until Saturday, so that allows the Boston Bruins a lot of time to rest up. It also opens the door for them to gather a lot of bulletin board material from various pundits picking the Pittsburgh Penguins to win the series.
“That’s how it goes sometimes,” Marchand said. “Obviously, they are the favorites. They have some guys that are very skilled and very talented, and they have the two best players in the world . . . and then you add Iginla. And their third and fourth line are playing so well right now.
“We’re in over our heads. We’ve got a big job to do. We’re all excited to try it out and see how it goes …”
The 25-year-old thinks that they might face an even tougher challenge than when many counted them out against the Vancouver Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
“Things can happen in hockey, and you can get some good bounces. Hopefully we get some of those,” Marchand said. “In any seven-game series you definitely want to wear the other guys down, especially their top guys. But Pittsburgh is a little different. They’ve got some very physical guys over there, and their third and fourth lines play very hard.
“Even the first line with [Chris] Kunitz and [Pascal] Dupuis, those are hard-working guys. Second line with Neal and Iginla, those guys will work, too. I think those guys will battle a lot harder than Vancouver did in the Finals.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)