May 28, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
The Eastern and Western Conference playoff landscapes couldn’t be any different at the moment.
Out East, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins advanced to the conference final with relative ease — the Penguins dispatched of the Senators and the Bruins took care of the Rangers in five games each.
Out West, it’s a different story as both the LA-San Jose and Chicago-Detroit series are headed to Game 7 showdowns.
San Jose forced the one-game, winner-takes-all finale with a 2-1 victory on Sunday in Game 6 at HP Pavilion, where the Sharks have yet to lose this postseason.
But now, San Jose faces a tall task in trying to get a win at Staples, where the Kings have yet to lose this postseason.
In the other series, Chicago sent the series to Game 7 after rallying from a 3-1 deficit, most notably with a 4-3 win at Joe Louis on Monday in Game 6.
The ‘Hawks rallied to even the series by doing what they do best — scoring goals.
After notching just six through the first four games of the series, Chicago has scored eight over its last two while going a 3-for-8 on the power play.
With the wins, Chicago now reaps the benefits of being the No. 1 seed and will host Game 7 at the “Madhouse on Madison” — the United Center.
The Blackhawks are an impressive 5-1 at home this postseason and boasted an 18-3-3 mark at home during the regular season, the second-best record in the NHL.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)