May 28, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
The Eastern and Western Conference playoff landscapes couldn’t be any different at the moment.
Out East, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins advanced to the conference final with relative ease — the Penguins dispatched of the Senators and the Bruins took care of the Rangers in five games each.
Out West, it’s a different story as both the LA-San Jose and Chicago-Detroit series are headed to Game 7 showdowns.
San Jose forced the one-game, winner-takes-all finale with a 2-1 victory on Sunday in Game 6 at HP Pavilion, where the Sharks have yet to lose this postseason.
But now, San Jose faces a tall task in trying to get a win at Staples, where the Kings have yet to lose this postseason.
In the other series, Chicago sent the series to Game 7 after rallying from a 3-1 deficit, most notably with a 4-3 win at Joe Louis on Monday in Game 6.
The ‘Hawks rallied to even the series by doing what they do best — scoring goals.
After notching just six through the first four games of the series, Chicago has scored eight over its last two while going a 3-for-8 on the power play.
With the wins, Chicago now reaps the benefits of being the No. 1 seed and will host Game 7 at the “Madhouse on Madison” — the United Center.
The Blackhawks are an impressive 5-1 at home this postseason and boasted an 18-3-3 mark at home during the regular season, the second-best record in the NHL.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)