May 28, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Patrick Roy isn’t just the new head coach of the Avalanche that wants to bring a “Stanley Cup attitude” back to Colorado; he’s also the new vice president of hockey operations, a role that allows him input on all player-personnel decisions made by Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations.
One thing Roy wants Sakic to explore, according to Renaud Lavoie of RDS? Trading the team’s first overall pick at this summer’s draft.
Granted, Roy is only suggesting Sakic should explore the option, but now that it’s out there, unless Sakic comes out and says he’s definitely not trading the pick, expect to hear plenty of speculation leading up to June 30 in Newark.
The two top candidates to be picked first overall are Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forward Nathan MacKinnon, both of whom have the potential to be franchise players in the NHL.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)