May 28, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
Patrick Roy isn’t just the new head coach of the Avalanche that wants to bring a “Stanley Cup attitude” back to Colorado; he’s also the new vice president of hockey operations, a role that allows him input on all player-personnel decisions made by Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations.
One thing Roy wants Sakic to explore, according to Renaud Lavoie of RDS? Trading the team’s first overall pick at this summer’s draft.
Granted, Roy is only suggesting Sakic should explore the option, but now that it’s out there, unless Sakic comes out and says he’s definitely not trading the pick, expect to hear plenty of speculation leading up to June 30 in Newark.
The two top candidates to be picked first overall are Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forward Nathan MacKinnon, both of whom have the potential to be franchise players in the NHL.
New Avs coach/VP Patrick Roy just said on NHL Network, "It's possible that we move our 1st pick. This is something we've been talking about"—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) May 28, 2013
It's a very real possibility Avs might trade No. 1 pick, or try to trade to get top two picks. Gonna be interesting—
(@adater) May 28, 2013
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)