May 28, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Patrick Roy isn’t just the new head coach of the Avalanche that wants to bring a “Stanley Cup attitude” back to Colorado; he’s also the new vice president of hockey operations, a role that allows him input on all player-personnel decisions made by Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations.
One thing Roy wants Sakic to explore, according to Renaud Lavoie of RDS? Trading the team’s first overall pick at this summer’s draft.
Granted, Roy is only suggesting Sakic should explore the option, but now that it’s out there, unless Sakic comes out and says he’s definitely not trading the pick, expect to hear plenty of speculation leading up to June 30 in Newark.
The two top candidates to be picked first overall are Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forward Nathan MacKinnon, both of whom have the potential to be franchise players in the NHL.
New Avs coach/VP Patrick Roy just said on NHL Network, "It's possible that we move our 1st pick. This is something we've been talking about"—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) May 28, 2013
It's a very real possibility Avs might trade No. 1 pick, or try to trade to get top two picks. Gonna be interesting—
(@adater) May 28, 2013
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)