May 28, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
Patrick Roy isn’t just the new head coach of the Avalanche that wants to bring a “Stanley Cup attitude” back to Colorado; he’s also the new vice president of hockey operations, a role that allows him input on all player-personnel decisions made by Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations.
One thing Roy wants Sakic to explore, according to Renaud Lavoie of RDS? Trading the team’s first overall pick at this summer’s draft.
Granted, Roy is only suggesting Sakic should explore the option, but now that it’s out there, unless Sakic comes out and says he’s definitely not trading the pick, expect to hear plenty of speculation leading up to June 30 in Newark.
The two top candidates to be picked first overall are Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forward Nathan MacKinnon, both of whom have the potential to be franchise players in the NHL.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 15
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (122)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)