May 28, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Patrick Roy isn’t just the new head coach of the Avalanche that wants to bring a “Stanley Cup attitude” back to Colorado; he’s also the new vice president of hockey operations, a role that allows him input on all player-personnel decisions made by Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations.
One thing Roy wants Sakic to explore, according to Renaud Lavoie of RDS? Trading the team’s first overall pick at this summer’s draft.
Granted, Roy is only suggesting Sakic should explore the option, but now that it’s out there, unless Sakic comes out and says he’s definitely not trading the pick, expect to hear plenty of speculation leading up to June 30 in Newark.
The two top candidates to be picked first overall are Portland defenseman Seth Jones and Halifax forward Nathan MacKinnon, both of whom have the potential to be franchise players in the NHL.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)