May 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Both Western Conference series have been pushed to Game 7, so the participants in the Western Conference finals will be determined over the next two contests.
Los Angeles hosts San Jose (9:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN/Live Extra)
Series tied at 3-3
The Sharks and Kings were two of the most successful teams at home during the regular season and both of these squads have perfect records at their respective arenas during the 2013 playoffs.
That works in the Kings’ favor going into this contest, but there are exceptions to trends. After three failed attempts to beat the Kings at Staples Center, San Jose can still advance with just one road victory.
That’s not hard to envision happening. Most of the games in this series have been decided by just one goal and could have easily turned out differently.
Plus there might be a separate factor that negates Los Angeles’ home-ice advantage. Despite being the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Kings are largely inexperienced with Game 7s. As a franchise, Los Angeles hasn’t played in one since 2002 and overall the Sharks’ projected lineup has participated in 31 career Game 7s to the Kings’ 15.
“When you’re road hockey, you’re always playing in a Game 7, right?” Kings captain Dustin Brown, who is among those that will be playing in his first Game 7, told LA Kings Insider. “So I’m looking forward to the opportunity. I know a lot of other guys are looking forward to the opportunity of playing in a game like [tonight].”
On the other end of the spectrum, Sharks forward Scott Gomez is getting ready to participate in his 10th career Game 7.
“The main thing is, what I was told, is that you can’t change your game. Do what got you here,” Gomez told CSN Bay Area. “Obviously, emotions are going to be running high.”
That might be especially true for Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick, who seems to be getting frustrated with the Sharks rough play. So far that hasn’t been enough to give the Sharks much of a noticeable edge, but if Quick loses his cool in this contest, it might end up costing the Kings this series.
Of course, in a contest like this, anyone that steps onto the ice could end up being the hero and any mistake could prove fatal.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:35 AM EST
He was 84.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EST
Suffered a lower body injury Thursday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
Arizona was playing in the second game of a back-to-back.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Keeps the game tied 1-1 in the second.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Colorado returns to action on Tuesday night in Arizona.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Playing in his 1,000th NHL game tonight.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Didn’t get a penalty for bumping into the goaltender.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Scores his eighth of the season.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Was stretchered off the ice Saturday night.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)