May 28, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
After a standout season with OHL London, Pittsburgh prospect Olli Maatta is beginning his professional career.
Maatta, the Pens’ first-round (22nd overall) pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, has signed on with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for the Calder Cup playoffs.
Maatta, 18, just finished his OHL season by representing London at the 2013 Memorial Cup. He had a stellar season with the Knights, leading all defensemen with 38 points in 57 games.
He also represented Team Finland at the World Juniors, scoring three points in five games — marking the third time he’d played for Finland at the tournament.
Joining Maatta with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will be Scott Harrington, Pittsburgh’s second-round selection (54th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Harrington also spent this season playing for OHL London, and also manned the Knights’ blueline.
WBS is currently in the midst of the Eastern Conference finals of the Calder Cup playoffs, currently tied with Syracuse 1-1.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)