May 28, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
Once again, the NHL is attempting to secure an ownership group for the Phoenix Coyotes, with Tuesday’s meetings representing an attempt to hash out a possible deal featuring George Gosbee’s Renaissance Sports & Entertainment group. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly released a statement following what the Arizona Republic reports was a 45-minute meeting.
“We had a number of constructive meetings today with the Mayor, various members of the City Council and the acting City Manager. Everyone involved in today’s discussions shares the desire and ultimate objective of transitioning the ownership of the Coyotes and safeguarding the franchise’s long-term future in Glendale. We expect that representatives from the Renaissance group will begin meeting with the City to see if a mutually agreeable lease arrangement can be forged expeditiously. We will have no further comment pending completion of that process.”
Long story short, Daly indicates that it was a positive meeting, for whatever that’s worth.
Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers was a bit more vague with his read on the proceedings.
“We’re going to look at what they’re wanting to do and see what the council wants to do and go from there,” Weiers said.
Here’s the city’s official statement.
“The City Council will not be making a decision regarding the Coyotes until all pertinent information has been collected and reviewed and all the available options have been thoroughly studied. This includes several bids the city is expected to receive this Friday (May 31) from qualified venue managers interested in operating the city owned Jobing.com Arena. Glendale is committed to moving forward on a plan that is in the best interests of our city and our citizens.”
The Arizona Republic reports that a total of four meetings have been planned, though it’s unclear how many happened today (Daly notes “a number” of them). The city’s release indicates that more could be known by Friday, but we will see.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)