May 28, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Once again, the NHL is attempting to secure an ownership group for the Phoenix Coyotes, with Tuesday’s meetings representing an attempt to hash out a possible deal featuring George Gosbee’s Renaissance Sports & Entertainment group. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly released a statement following what the Arizona Republic reports was a 45-minute meeting.
“We had a number of constructive meetings today with the Mayor, various members of the City Council and the acting City Manager. Everyone involved in today’s discussions shares the desire and ultimate objective of transitioning the ownership of the Coyotes and safeguarding the franchise’s long-term future in Glendale. We expect that representatives from the Renaissance group will begin meeting with the City to see if a mutually agreeable lease arrangement can be forged expeditiously. We will have no further comment pending completion of that process.”
Long story short, Daly indicates that it was a positive meeting, for whatever that’s worth.
Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers was a bit more vague with his read on the proceedings.
“We’re going to look at what they’re wanting to do and see what the council wants to do and go from there,” Weiers said.
Here’s the city’s official statement.
“The City Council will not be making a decision regarding the Coyotes until all pertinent information has been collected and reviewed and all the available options have been thoroughly studied. This includes several bids the city is expected to receive this Friday (May 31) from qualified venue managers interested in operating the city owned Jobing.com Arena. Glendale is committed to moving forward on a plan that is in the best interests of our city and our citizens.”
The Arizona Republic reports that a total of four meetings have been planned, though it’s unclear how many happened today (Daly notes “a number” of them). The city’s release indicates that more could be known by Friday, but we will see.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)