May 28, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Jamal Mayers hasn’t played once this postseason, and might not ever get the chance.
Mayers, who was fined a half day’s pay for shooting pucks at Detroit’s goal prior to Game 5 of the ‘Hawks-Wings series, has now earned his team an additional $10,000 fine, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
The NHL originally dinged Mayers (for what worked out to approximately $1600) after he shot a series of pucks in Jimmy Howard’s net during the pregame skate.
To his credit, he manned up and accepted responsibility for the incident.
“I was trying to get under their skin,” Mayers told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “The league fined me and took the appropriate action.
“I’ll pay the piper.”
Mayers didn’t play in Game 5, but the ‘Hawks have been a successful bunch following his antics.
They’ve outscored the Wings by four in consecutive wins, and have now scored more goals — eight — in the last two games than they did in the first four games of the series.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)