May 28, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a “long-term” contract extension with the Coyotes, GM Don Maloney met with the media on Tuesday to discuss his deal and address the future of his coaching staff.
Specifically, Dave Tippett.
“We are going to do everything in our power” to retain Tippett. #coyotes GM Don Maloney at presser.
— Todd Walsh (@ToddWalsh) May 28, 2013
Maloney says he’s been talking with Tippett. Have to see if can come to understanding to make him confident to stay here.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) May 28, 2013
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has been in Phoenix since 2009 and has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage.
He also took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012, so it’s understandable why the Coyotes would want to retain him.
The sticking point, as with all things Phoenix, is the state of ownership.
Tippett has been non-committal but said he’s ready to play the waiting game, a game contingent on the latest chapter in the saga — Tuesday’s meeting between the NHL and the city of Glendale, in which the league is putting forth an ownership plan, reportedly involving the George Gosbee-led Renaissance Group.
That said, the Coyotes did lock up Tippett’s staff, as Maloney confirmed the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke.
It should also be noted that, possibly as a sign of solidarity, Tippett was in attendance for today’s presser.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32