May 28, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a “long-term” contract extension with the Coyotes, GM Don Maloney met with the media on Tuesday to discuss his deal and address the future of his coaching staff.
Specifically, Dave Tippett.
“We are going to do everything in our power” to retain Tippett. #coyotes GM Don Maloney at presser.
— Todd Walsh (@ToddWalsh) May 28, 2013
Maloney says he’s been talking with Tippett. Have to see if can come to understanding to make him confident to stay here.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) May 28, 2013
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has been in Phoenix since 2009 and has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage.
He also took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012, so it’s understandable why the Coyotes would want to retain him.
The sticking point, as with all things Phoenix, is the state of ownership.
Tippett has been non-committal but said he’s ready to play the waiting game, a game contingent on the latest chapter in the saga — Tuesday’s meeting between the NHL and the city of Glendale, in which the league is putting forth an ownership plan, reportedly involving the George Gosbee-led Renaissance Group.
That said, the Coyotes did lock up Tippett’s staff, as Maloney confirmed the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke.
It should also be noted that, possibly as a sign of solidarity, Tippett was in attendance for today’s presser.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (97)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)