May 28, 2013, 5:21 PM EST
Fresh off signing a “long-term” contract extension with the Coyotes, GM Don Maloney met with the media on Tuesday to discuss his deal and address the future of his coaching staff.
Specifically, Dave Tippett.
“We are going to do everything in our power” to retain Tippett. #coyotes GM Don Maloney at presser.
— Todd Walsh (@ToddWalsh) May 28, 2013
Maloney says he’s been talking with Tippett. Have to see if can come to understanding to make him confident to stay here.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) May 28, 2013
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has been in Phoenix since 2009 and has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage.
He also took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012, so it’s understandable why the Coyotes would want to retain him.
The sticking point, as with all things Phoenix, is the state of ownership.
Tippett has been non-committal but said he’s ready to play the waiting game, a game contingent on the latest chapter in the saga — Tuesday’s meeting between the NHL and the city of Glendale, in which the league is putting forth an ownership plan, reportedly involving the George Gosbee-led Renaissance Group.
That said, the Coyotes did lock up Tippett’s staff, as Maloney confirmed the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke.
It should also be noted that, possibly as a sign of solidarity, Tippett was in attendance for today’s presser.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)