May 28, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Fresh off signing a “long-term” contract extension with the Coyotes, GM Don Maloney met with the media on Tuesday to discuss his deal and address the future of his coaching staff.
Specifically, Dave Tippett.
“We are going to do everything in our power” to retain Tippett. #coyotes GM Don Maloney at presser.
— Todd Walsh (@ToddWalsh) May 28, 2013
Maloney says he’s been talking with Tippett. Have to see if can come to understanding to make him confident to stay here.
— Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) May 28, 2013
Tippett’s contact is believed to expire on June 30, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. The 51-year-old bench boss has been in Phoenix since 2009 and has never posted lower than a .531 winning percentage.
He also took the club to its first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012, so it’s understandable why the Coyotes would want to retain him.
The sticking point, as with all things Phoenix, is the state of ownership.
Tippett has been non-committal but said he’s ready to play the waiting game, a game contingent on the latest chapter in the saga — Tuesday’s meeting between the NHL and the city of Glendale, in which the league is putting forth an ownership plan, reportedly involving the George Gosbee-led Renaissance Group.
That said, the Coyotes did lock up Tippett’s staff, as Maloney confirmed the club picked up the options on associate coach Jim Playfair and goalie coach Sean Burke.
It should also be noted that, possibly as a sign of solidarity, Tippett was in attendance for today’s presser.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)