May 28, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon’s dominant performance at the 2013 Memorial Cup has boosted the Halifax Mooseheads forward back to the top of the International Scouting Services draft rankings.
Previously, Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones had been the top-ranked prospect.
MacKinnon was last ranked first overall by ISS in December.
“Nathan MacKinnon moves back to ISS #1 after answering any questions we had about him with his dominating MVP Memorial Cup performance,” said ISS Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “I have personally been watching MacKinnon since he was a pee-wee, and while his skills have become top 1% in the world, what has impressed me most has been his growing maturity – the bigger the moment, the more hungry he becomes.”
The Colorado Avalanche own the first pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, followed by the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.
Speculation has the Avs taking Jones over MacKinnon, in part because Colorado’s defense is considered a more glaring area of weakness than up front.
But publicly at least, the Avs are keeping their options open.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38