May 28, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon’s dominant performance at the 2013 Memorial Cup has boosted the Halifax Mooseheads forward back to the top of the International Scouting Services draft rankings.
Previously, Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones had been the top-ranked prospect.
MacKinnon was last ranked first overall by ISS in December.
“Nathan MacKinnon moves back to ISS #1 after answering any questions we had about him with his dominating MVP Memorial Cup performance,” said ISS Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “I have personally been watching MacKinnon since he was a pee-wee, and while his skills have become top 1% in the world, what has impressed me most has been his growing maturity – the bigger the moment, the more hungry he becomes.”
The Colorado Avalanche own the first pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, followed by the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.
Speculation has the Avs taking Jones over MacKinnon, in part because Colorado’s defense is considered a more glaring area of weakness than up front.
But publicly at least, the Avs are keeping their options open.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 10
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1