May 28, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
Nathan MacKinnon’s dominant performance at the 2013 Memorial Cup has boosted the Halifax Mooseheads forward back to the top of the International Scouting Services draft rankings.
Previously, Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones had been the top-ranked prospect.
MacKinnon was last ranked first overall by ISS in December.
“Nathan MacKinnon moves back to ISS #1 after answering any questions we had about him with his dominating MVP Memorial Cup performance,” said ISS Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “I have personally been watching MacKinnon since he was a pee-wee, and while his skills have become top 1% in the world, what has impressed me most has been his growing maturity – the bigger the moment, the more hungry he becomes.”
The Colorado Avalanche own the first pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, followed by the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.
Speculation has the Avs taking Jones over MacKinnon, in part because Colorado’s defense is considered a more glaring area of weakness than up front.
But publicly at least, the Avs are keeping their options open.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 18
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5