May 28, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
If Jaromir Jagr plays in the 2013-14 season, he’ll be one of the NHL’s elder statesman at 42.*
To some, that statement strengthens the argument that the aging star might be enjoying his final postseason run. Especially since he hasn’t scored a goal in the Boston Bruins’ first 12 postseason games. His comments to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty makes it seem like he’ll play as long as people let him, though.
“If you love something then you want to be with it all the time,” Jagr said. “I love this game. As long as I can play it, I want to play.”
Scoring zero goals and four assists might hint that he can’t play any more, but the future Hall of Famer could probably attest that sometimes puck luck comes and goes.
Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma ranks among those who think that he can still play, as he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
“He definitely has got game,” Bylsma said. “He’s still a force down low, tough guy to take the puck off of. I don’t look at birth certificates.”
Feel free to insert your Donald Trump or Danny Almonte joke here.
* – His birthday is February 15.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 71
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)