May 28, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
If Jaromir Jagr plays in the 2013-14 season, he’ll be one of the NHL’s elder statesman at 42.*
To some, that statement strengthens the argument that the aging star might be enjoying his final postseason run. Especially since he hasn’t scored a goal in the Boston Bruins’ first 12 postseason games. His comments to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty makes it seem like he’ll play as long as people let him, though.
“If you love something then you want to be with it all the time,” Jagr said. “I love this game. As long as I can play it, I want to play.”
Scoring zero goals and four assists might hint that he can’t play any more, but the future Hall of Famer could probably attest that sometimes puck luck comes and goes.
Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma ranks among those who think that he can still play, as he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
“He definitely has got game,” Bylsma said. “He’s still a force down low, tough guy to take the puck off of. I don’t look at birth certificates.”
Feel free to insert your Donald Trump or Danny Almonte joke here.
* – His birthday is February 15.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)