May 28, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
If Jaromir Jagr plays in the 2013-14 season, he’ll be one of the NHL’s elder statesman at 42.*
To some, that statement strengthens the argument that the aging star might be enjoying his final postseason run. Especially since he hasn’t scored a goal in the Boston Bruins’ first 12 postseason games. His comments to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty makes it seem like he’ll play as long as people let him, though.
“If you love something then you want to be with it all the time,” Jagr said. “I love this game. As long as I can play it, I want to play.”
Scoring zero goals and four assists might hint that he can’t play any more, but the future Hall of Famer could probably attest that sometimes puck luck comes and goes.
Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma ranks among those who think that he can still play, as he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
“He definitely has got game,” Bylsma said. “He’s still a force down low, tough guy to take the puck off of. I don’t look at birth certificates.”
Feel free to insert your Donald Trump or Danny Almonte joke here.
* – His birthday is February 15.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)