May 28, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
The formula for winning a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup playoffs doesn’t seem too difficult. Right?
“What I was told was don’t change your game. Do what got you here. Obviously every emotion is going to be running high. When the game comes we’ll be ready. It’s exciting for us.”
The Sharks face the L.A. Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champions, in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinal series on Tuesday.
The winner advances to the conference final, where they will face either the Detroit Red Wings or Chicago Blackhawks, who will also be engaging in that most-exciting seventh and deciding game on Wednesday.
“You’re playing for your lives. You have to be desperate,” Sharks’ forward Logan Couture told reporters, as per a video post on the team’s website and seen below.
For the Kings, their reign as Cup champions is in question.
Last year, they never faced elimination, rolling over the competition throughout the post-season, beginning with the Vancouver Canucks in the opening round and finishing with a Stanley Cup win over the New Jersey Devils.
“After what we did last year, I always say you don’t really know what you’re playing for until you’ve won it,” Kings’ captain Dustin Brown told the L.A. Times.
“So my perspective on playoffs this year has been completely different from my perspective on playoffs in previous years because I don’t think I fully understood what I was playing for until we put ourselves over the top.
“And that’s kind of the same way with losing. It’s hard to understand what it takes to win until you lose.”
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)