May 28, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
The formula for winning a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup playoffs doesn’t seem too difficult. Right?
“What I was told was don’t change your game. Do what got you here. Obviously every emotion is going to be running high. When the game comes we’ll be ready. It’s exciting for us.”
The Sharks face the L.A. Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champions, in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinal series on Tuesday.
The winner advances to the conference final, where they will face either the Detroit Red Wings or Chicago Blackhawks, who will also be engaging in that most-exciting seventh and deciding game on Wednesday.
“You’re playing for your lives. You have to be desperate,” Sharks’ forward Logan Couture told reporters, as per a video post on the team’s website and seen below.
For the Kings, their reign as Cup champions is in question.
Last year, they never faced elimination, rolling over the competition throughout the post-season, beginning with the Vancouver Canucks in the opening round and finishing with a Stanley Cup win over the New Jersey Devils.
“After what we did last year, I always say you don’t really know what you’re playing for until you’ve won it,” Kings’ captain Dustin Brown told the L.A. Times.
“So my perspective on playoffs this year has been completely different from my perspective on playoffs in previous years because I don’t think I fully understood what I was playing for until we put ourselves over the top.
“And that’s kind of the same way with losing. It’s hard to understand what it takes to win until you lose.”
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)