May 28, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
The formula for winning a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup playoffs doesn’t seem too difficult. Right?
“What I was told was don’t change your game. Do what got you here. Obviously every emotion is going to be running high. When the game comes we’ll be ready. It’s exciting for us.”
The Sharks face the L.A. Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champions, in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinal series on Tuesday.
The winner advances to the conference final, where they will face either the Detroit Red Wings or Chicago Blackhawks, who will also be engaging in that most-exciting seventh and deciding game on Wednesday.
“You’re playing for your lives. You have to be desperate,” Sharks’ forward Logan Couture told reporters, as per a video post on the team’s website and seen below.
For the Kings, their reign as Cup champions is in question.
Last year, they never faced elimination, rolling over the competition throughout the post-season, beginning with the Vancouver Canucks in the opening round and finishing with a Stanley Cup win over the New Jersey Devils.
“After what we did last year, I always say you don’t really know what you’re playing for until you’ve won it,” Kings’ captain Dustin Brown told the L.A. Times.
“So my perspective on playoffs this year has been completely different from my perspective on playoffs in previous years because I don’t think I fully understood what I was playing for until we put ourselves over the top.
“And that’s kind of the same way with losing. It’s hard to understand what it takes to win until you lose.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)