May 28, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins are scoring their way through the playoffs.
That’s been the story from the first two rounds of the postseason, as Pittsburgh leads the NHL in almost every significant offensive category: goals per game (4.27), power play percentage (28.3) and plus-minus (+10).
Individually, the Pens are lighting it up as well.
Meanwhile, winger Pascal Dupuis shares the goalscoring lead with Crosby, with seven goals each.
This is the kind of production Pittsburgh expected when it finally got all its star players on the same page. The trade deadline acquisitions of Iginla, Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray were huge, but it took a while (and some injury recovery) before they had a chance to gel with the likes of Crosby and Malkin.
Now, it seems like they’ve gelled.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The big question for Pittsburgh moving forward will be if it can continue to score enough to overcome its defensive question marks.
The Pens have had issues keeping pucks out of the net, and needed to switch goalies midway through the playoffs after Marc-Andre Fleury struggled in the opening-round series against the Islanders.
Tomas Vokoun took over from there and has played well — 6-1 record, 1.85 GAA, .941 save percentage — but there remains some doubt that the 36-year-old journeyman will be able to perform when put under serious pressure.
(With all due respects to Ottawa, the Sens didn’t make life overly difficult on Vokoun in Round 2.)
All this said, Pittsburgh looks like a team that’s figured it out offensively and finding ways to get it done defensively. Since taking over in Game 5 of the New York series, Vokoun hasn’t allowed more than three goals in a single contest.
For a team that averages over four per game, that’ll be just fine.
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 0
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 7
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45