May 28, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Corey Crawford knew it was a bad one to let in.
With about 10 minute left in the second period of Monday’s Game 6, Crawford allowed this goal from Joakim Andersson to give Detroit a 2-1 lead over Chicago, one the Wings would carry into the third period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal looked as though it’d be deflating, potentially a game-changer — until Crawford’s teammates stepped up and bailed him out, scoring three times in the third period.
But when asked about the Andersson marker, the ‘Hawks goalie was blunt.
“I pretty much told myself it can’t get any worse,” Crawford told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Be strong, stop the next one and move on from there.”
Crawford did that and more, stopping the next 22 shots faced — before Damien Brunner scored with 52 seconds remaining.
All told, the Chicago netminder finished with 35 saves on 38 shots, good for a solid .921 save percentage, and earned praise from head coach Joel Quenneville.
”He came back strong,” Quenneville said. ”I thought he had some composure starting the third period. Our team was fine heading into the third period. [The Red Wings] definitely got some momentum in that second period.
“But I thought we regrouped going into the third and had a real nice period.”
Note: Quenneville also impressed by setting a record for most uses of the word “period” in a single response.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)