May 28, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Corey Crawford knew it was a bad one to let in.
With about 10 minute left in the second period of Monday’s Game 6, Crawford allowed this goal from Joakim Andersson to give Detroit a 2-1 lead over Chicago, one the Wings would carry into the third period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal looked as though it’d be deflating, potentially a game-changer — until Crawford’s teammates stepped up and bailed him out, scoring three times in the third period.
But when asked about the Andersson marker, the ‘Hawks goalie was blunt.
“I pretty much told myself it can’t get any worse,” Crawford told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Be strong, stop the next one and move on from there.”
Crawford did that and more, stopping the next 22 shots faced — before Damien Brunner scored with 52 seconds remaining.
All told, the Chicago netminder finished with 35 saves on 38 shots, good for a solid .921 save percentage, and earned praise from head coach Joel Quenneville.
”He came back strong,” Quenneville said. ”I thought he had some composure starting the third period. Our team was fine heading into the third period. [The Red Wings] definitely got some momentum in that second period.
“But I thought we regrouped going into the third and had a real nice period.”
Note: Quenneville also impressed by setting a record for most uses of the word “period” in a single response.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)