May 28, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Corey Crawford knew it was a bad one to let in.
With about 10 minute left in the second period of Monday’s Game 6, Crawford allowed this goal from Joakim Andersson to give Detroit a 2-1 lead over Chicago, one the Wings would carry into the third period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal looked as though it’d be deflating, potentially a game-changer — until Crawford’s teammates stepped up and bailed him out, scoring three times in the third period.
But when asked about the Andersson marker, the ‘Hawks goalie was blunt.
“I pretty much told myself it can’t get any worse,” Crawford told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Be strong, stop the next one and move on from there.”
Crawford did that and more, stopping the next 22 shots faced — before Damien Brunner scored with 52 seconds remaining.
All told, the Chicago netminder finished with 35 saves on 38 shots, good for a solid .921 save percentage, and earned praise from head coach Joel Quenneville.
”He came back strong,” Quenneville said. ”I thought he had some composure starting the third period. Our team was fine heading into the third period. [The Red Wings] definitely got some momentum in that second period.
“But I thought we regrouped going into the third and had a real nice period.”
Note: Quenneville also impressed by setting a record for most uses of the word “period” in a single response.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)