May 28, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Corey Crawford knew it was a bad one to let in.
With about 10 minute left in the second period of Monday’s Game 6, Crawford allowed this goal from Joakim Andersson to give Detroit a 2-1 lead over Chicago, one the Wings would carry into the third period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal looked as though it’d be deflating, potentially a game-changer — until Crawford’s teammates stepped up and bailed him out, scoring three times in the third period.
But when asked about the Andersson marker, the ‘Hawks goalie was blunt.
“I pretty much told myself it can’t get any worse,” Crawford told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Be strong, stop the next one and move on from there.”
Crawford did that and more, stopping the next 22 shots faced — before Damien Brunner scored with 52 seconds remaining.
All told, the Chicago netminder finished with 35 saves on 38 shots, good for a solid .921 save percentage, and earned praise from head coach Joel Quenneville.
”He came back strong,” Quenneville said. ”I thought he had some composure starting the third period. Our team was fine heading into the third period. [The Red Wings] definitely got some momentum in that second period.
“But I thought we regrouped going into the third and had a real nice period.”
Note: Quenneville also impressed by setting a record for most uses of the word “period” in a single response.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)