May 28, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
Corey Crawford knew it was a bad one to let in.
With about 10 minute left in the second period of Monday’s Game 6, Crawford allowed this goal from Joakim Andersson to give Detroit a 2-1 lead over Chicago, one the Wings would carry into the third period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The goal looked as though it’d be deflating, potentially a game-changer — until Crawford’s teammates stepped up and bailed him out, scoring three times in the third period.
But when asked about the Andersson marker, the ‘Hawks goalie was blunt.
“I pretty much told myself it can’t get any worse,” Crawford told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Be strong, stop the next one and move on from there.”
Crawford did that and more, stopping the next 22 shots faced — before Damien Brunner scored with 52 seconds remaining.
All told, the Chicago netminder finished with 35 saves on 38 shots, good for a solid .921 save percentage, and earned praise from head coach Joel Quenneville.
”He came back strong,” Quenneville said. ”I thought he had some composure starting the third period. Our team was fine heading into the third period. [The Red Wings] definitely got some momentum in that second period.
“But I thought we regrouped going into the third and had a real nice period.”
Note: Quenneville also impressed by setting a record for most uses of the word “period” in a single response.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 51
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39