May 28, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Back in April, we learned that Brian Burke was suing 18 anonymous internet commenters who wrote online that he had an affair with, and impregnated, a sports reporter.
It was an unusual lawsuit, given the following were named as defendants:
“NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”.
Not surprisingly, identifying the real names of the defendants has been a challenge.
So, today, we learn that the former Maple Leafs president and general manager will, per the Toronto Star, ask the British Columbia Supreme Court for permission to send seven of the above “private messages to their message board accounts, notifying them of his civil claim.”
MacLeans blogger Colby Cosh has handicapped Burke’s chances of serving the defendants this way:
One problem with the legal argument may be its slightly blasé assurance that “the correct people will be served” because the usernames are the same ones under which the alleged defamation was posted.
It seems unlikely that the master-in-chambers will rule quickly; he certainly ought to take time to scrutinize the proffered precedents, the logic of the motion, and the likely effects on cyberspace.
To read the motion, click here for the PDF.
Here are the seven users Burke hopes to serve via private message:
Kinda feel like NoFixedAddress might be tough to track down.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)