May 28, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Back in April, we learned that Brian Burke was suing 18 anonymous internet commenters who wrote online that he had an affair with, and impregnated, a sports reporter.
It was an unusual lawsuit, given the following were named as defendants:
“NOFIXEDADDRESS”, “CAMBARKERFAN”, “LAVY16”, “MBSKIDMORE”, “TULOWD”, “LOOB”, “NAGGAH”, “MOWERMAN”, “AARONP18”, “STEVE”, “KABOOMIN8”,“THEZBRAD”, “SLOBBERFACE”, “POONERMAN”, “ISOLATEDCIRCUIT”, “KANADA KEV”, “NCOGNITO” AND “SIR PSYCHO SEXY”.
Not surprisingly, identifying the real names of the defendants has been a challenge.
So, today, we learn that the former Maple Leafs president and general manager will, per the Toronto Star, ask the British Columbia Supreme Court for permission to send seven of the above “private messages to their message board accounts, notifying them of his civil claim.”
MacLeans blogger Colby Cosh has handicapped Burke’s chances of serving the defendants this way:
One problem with the legal argument may be its slightly blasé assurance that “the correct people will be served” because the usernames are the same ones under which the alleged defamation was posted.
It seems unlikely that the master-in-chambers will rule quickly; he certainly ought to take time to scrutinize the proffered precedents, the logic of the motion, and the likely effects on cyberspace.
To read the motion, click here for the PDF.
Here are the seven users Burke hopes to serve via private message:
Kinda feel like NoFixedAddress might be tough to track down.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6