May 28, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
The deal is of the one-way variety with Cole earning $750,000 next season and $900,000 in 2014-15, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Cole, 24, was St. Louis’ first-round selection (18th overall) at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, and has appeared in 67 contests over three seasons with the Blues.
All told, Cole appeared in 15 games with St. Louis last season, scoring one point while averaging 17:45 TOI per game.
The former Notre Dame standout was in the final year of an entry-level deal that carried at $1.3 million annual cap hit ($875,000 base salary, the rest in signing and performance bonuses).
It’s interesting that Cole was one of the first defensemen St. Louis opted to lock up, especially with so many guys still to sign — Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Kris Russell are all restricted free agents, while Leopold is unrestricted.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)