May 28, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
The deal is of the one-way variety with Cole earning $750,000 next season and $900,000 in 2014-15, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Cole, 24, was St. Louis’ first-round selection (18th overall) at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, and has appeared in 67 contests over three seasons with the Blues.
All told, Cole appeared in 15 games with St. Louis last season, scoring one point while averaging 17:45 TOI per game.
The former Notre Dame standout was in the final year of an entry-level deal that carried at $1.3 million annual cap hit ($875,000 base salary, the rest in signing and performance bonuses).
It’s interesting that Cole was one of the first defensemen St. Louis opted to lock up, especially with so many guys still to sign — Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Kris Russell are all restricted free agents, while Leopold is unrestricted.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)