May 28, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
The deal is of the one-way variety with Cole earning $750,000 next season and $900,000 in 2014-15, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Cole, 24, was St. Louis’ first-round selection (18th overall) at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, and has appeared in 67 contests over three seasons with the Blues.
All told, Cole appeared in 15 games with St. Louis last season, scoring one point while averaging 17:45 TOI per game.
The former Notre Dame standout was in the final year of an entry-level deal that carried at $1.3 million annual cap hit ($875,000 base salary, the rest in signing and performance bonuses).
It’s interesting that Cole was one of the first defensemen St. Louis opted to lock up, especially with so many guys still to sign — Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk and Kris Russell are all restricted free agents, while Leopold is unrestricted.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 101
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (101)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)