May 28, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s anyone’s guess if the Joe Sakic-Patrick Roy management combo will be anywhere close to as effective as it was when they were playing hockey.
If Tuesday’s reactions to Roy’s hiring are any indication, the new head coach should at least get respect from Colorado Avalanche players up front.
The team’s highest-paid player Paul Stastny thinks that Roy’s experiences as a player will give him added insight when it comes to dealing with the range of personalities found in a locker room.
“I think a good coach can relate to different guys and get the best out of every player,” Stastny said. “And that’s different. You can’t treat everyone the same way. Some guys you can yell at in front of the room and some guys you have to talk to one-on-one to get the best out of them. And I think he knows that.”
Team captain Gabriel Landeskog admits that he had a poster of the 2001 Stanley Cup-winning team on his childhood bedroom wall, so it’s no surprise that he thinks the duo will speak from a position of authority.
“They’re looking to accomplish great things, just as they did as players,” Landeskog said. ” … When [Roy] speaks, guys are going to listen.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 10
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)