May 28, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s anyone’s guess if the Joe Sakic-Patrick Roy management combo will be anywhere close to as effective as it was when they were playing hockey.
If Tuesday’s reactions to Roy’s hiring are any indication, the new head coach should at least get respect from Colorado Avalanche players up front.
The team’s highest-paid player Paul Stastny thinks that Roy’s experiences as a player will give him added insight when it comes to dealing with the range of personalities found in a locker room.
“I think a good coach can relate to different guys and get the best out of every player,” Stastny said. “And that’s different. You can’t treat everyone the same way. Some guys you can yell at in front of the room and some guys you have to talk to one-on-one to get the best out of them. And I think he knows that.”
Team captain Gabriel Landeskog admits that he had a poster of the 2001 Stanley Cup-winning team on his childhood bedroom wall, so it’s no surprise that he thinks the duo will speak from a position of authority.
“They’re looking to accomplish great things, just as they did as players,” Landeskog said. ” … When [Roy] speaks, guys are going to listen.”
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 25
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 26
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)