May 28, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s anyone’s guess if the Joe Sakic-Patrick Roy management combo will be anywhere close to as effective as it was when they were playing hockey.
If Tuesday’s reactions to Roy’s hiring are any indication, the new head coach should at least get respect from Colorado Avalanche players up front.
The team’s highest-paid player Paul Stastny thinks that Roy’s experiences as a player will give him added insight when it comes to dealing with the range of personalities found in a locker room.
“I think a good coach can relate to different guys and get the best out of every player,” Stastny said. “And that’s different. You can’t treat everyone the same way. Some guys you can yell at in front of the room and some guys you have to talk to one-on-one to get the best out of them. And I think he knows that.”
Team captain Gabriel Landeskog admits that he had a poster of the 2001 Stanley Cup-winning team on his childhood bedroom wall, so it’s no surprise that he thinks the duo will speak from a position of authority.
“They’re looking to accomplish great things, just as they did as players,” Landeskog said. ” … When [Roy] speaks, guys are going to listen.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)