May 28, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
It’s anyone’s guess if the Joe Sakic-Patrick Roy management combo will be anywhere close to as effective as it was when they were playing hockey.
If Tuesday’s reactions to Roy’s hiring are any indication, the new head coach should at least get respect from Colorado Avalanche players up front.
The team’s highest-paid player Paul Stastny thinks that Roy’s experiences as a player will give him added insight when it comes to dealing with the range of personalities found in a locker room.
“I think a good coach can relate to different guys and get the best out of every player,” Stastny said. “And that’s different. You can’t treat everyone the same way. Some guys you can yell at in front of the room and some guys you have to talk to one-on-one to get the best out of them. And I think he knows that.”
Team captain Gabriel Landeskog admits that he had a poster of the 2001 Stanley Cup-winning team on his childhood bedroom wall, so it’s no surprise that he thinks the duo will speak from a position of authority.
“They’re looking to accomplish great things, just as they did as players,” Landeskog said. ” … When [Roy] speaks, guys are going to listen.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)