May 28, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
It’s anyone’s guess if the Joe Sakic-Patrick Roy management combo will be anywhere close to as effective as it was when they were playing hockey.
If Tuesday’s reactions to Roy’s hiring are any indication, the new head coach should at least get respect from Colorado Avalanche players up front.
The team’s highest-paid player Paul Stastny thinks that Roy’s experiences as a player will give him added insight when it comes to dealing with the range of personalities found in a locker room.
“I think a good coach can relate to different guys and get the best out of every player,” Stastny said. “And that’s different. You can’t treat everyone the same way. Some guys you can yell at in front of the room and some guys you have to talk to one-on-one to get the best out of them. And I think he knows that.”
Team captain Gabriel Landeskog admits that he had a poster of the 2001 Stanley Cup-winning team on his childhood bedroom wall, so it’s no surprise that he thinks the duo will speak from a position of authority.
“They’re looking to accomplish great things, just as they did as players,” Landeskog said. ” … When [Roy] speaks, guys are going to listen.”
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (76)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)